Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 10, 2006, 4:43 PM   #1

I have recently purchased my first SLR, the Nikon D50. I have ordered the 18-200VR lense. Should be arriving any day. I have about used up my hobby $ and would like some recommendations on what is the next best investment. Lighting, software, printer, ect. I would like to buy quality products that will take some time to outgrow. I photograph a lot outdoors and at this timemostly photograph scenery and children. Thank You in advance for any suggestions you may have.
lovinlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2006, 5:42 PM   #2

I'm not really up on my Nikon lens, I'm a Canon guy, so I'm not sure what the aperture of you 18-200 is. But for children especially, you may need a fast lens, if you want to capture them in action. Bright sunlight, you may be ok with the lens you have, but as the sun starts to set your shutter speeds will get slower. Another item even though you mostly shoot out side would be a good flash, they also can come in very handy outdoors especially if your lens is not very fast.

So maybe a prime lens around 50mm or 85mm fast f1.8 lens and a good off camera flash would be high on my list.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 9:13 PM   #3

THe Sb600 flash (approx $189) and a 50 f1.8 for low light situations would be a great start. You'll also need some editing software (I'm not a big fan of the included software)....PS Elements would be a good one to start with.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 10:01 PM   #4

UV filter to protect the lens, a good camera bag/case, and a tripod.
stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 11:19 PM   #5

I will look into the ps elements. I downloaded a free 30 day trial of paintshop today. I had seen it suggested on this site. Thank You for the recommendation on external flash. KnewI needed it but wasn't surewhat to buy.I suspected the lense would be on my shopping listbutreally needed some reassurance I was on right track.Thank you much for your input.
lovinlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 5:37 AM   #6

lovinlife wrote: I downloaded a free 30 day trial of paintshop today.

Good choice, I did the same & ended up buying it. I has a decent one-step noise reduction feature, which softens skin tones as well. The "toothbrush" tool is amazing, too. Click on the teeth of someone smiling and they're 3 shades whiter! Great for portraits.
stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 6:46 AM   #7

Lovinlife,

I'm going to go with the software recommendation as well. You'll definitely need that out of the gate. But I strongly recommend holding off on any more equipment. Get your lens and spend a few weeks with the camera first. Find out what you want to do that you CAN'T do with the equipment you have. Then ask for recommendations on what equipment will allow you to do that thing. Otherwise you end up with expensive paperweights. Buy stuff not because others think it's great but because you need it. You may find after several weeks or a couple months that your photographic interests have taken an unexpected turn in a new direction. If you've blown all yyour $$$ on equipment others thought was necessary it may not be useful for what you really need.

So, if you have a camera, lens, memory card and editing software you should easily be set for a couple months of shooting.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote