Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 12, 2006, 3:35 PM   #1

I am thinking of purchasing either a Panasonic FZ7 or the Sony H5. They both have an optical zoom of x12.

When in the shop and examing the products (without using the zoom)it was clear that an item at lets say 30 metres away to the naked eye appeared to be much farther away when looking at it through theLCD.

Is this normal? I apologise if this is a dumb question.:?

One other thing I read about the Panasonic is that the zoom can be extended to x16.5 if the picture size is reduced to 3MP. Would this be a genuine x16.5 or would that include the use of a digital zoom?

Thanks,

John

johnpn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2006, 5:23 PM   #2

The eye can be (roughly) said to give the field of view of a 50mm lens.

Since the pany starts wider than that (36mm iirc) then yes, at wide the view will look further than you perceiveit with the naked eye, because the field of view is different.

I do not know what the Pany people call it but thats the same as the Sony smart zoom, its a safe zoom, not digital, but it is the same as if you took a full resolution image and in an editor cropped into the centre

Ie smart zoom/safe zoom whatever its called can be done in the cheapest photo editor in the market.

Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 5:33 PM   #3

Is there an accessory that can make the camera(s) to see things more like the naked eye. Some sort of special lens?

John
Old Oct 12, 2006, 5:35 PM   #4

You could just zoom to about 50mm , perhaps a little bit more, till the shot matches roughly what you can actually see..

Both cameras can of course accept telephotolens to give a closerview,and wide angle lens, perfect for landscapes and architecture.

Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 5:41 PM   #5

Sorry I didnt make myself clear.

I meant without using the zoom.

Can I attach a lens to the camera to make it look more natural to begin with.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 5:45 PM   #6

It appears you answered my question before I asked it.

Thanks a lot

John
Old Oct 12, 2006, 9:45 PM   #7

You do not want to make the view more natural in the viewfinder.

You want the viewfinder to show what you want the final picture to look like. Because formost optical viewfinders what you see is not exactly what you get, you need to take practice shots and get used to your camera's viewfinder.

In most viewfinders regardless of amount of zoom the subject appears further away than it really is.

In my opinion digital zoom is useless. A picture with digital zoom takes up more space unnecessarily in the camera's memory card. You can do all the digital expansion and cropping you need after you download the picture into your computer. Set the camera to stop at maximum optical zoom and not go into digital zoom as you push the zooming lever.

ajaynejr is offline   Reply With Quote