Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 9, 2003, 7:14 PM   #1

Default First Digicam, Prosumer level - Any Input appreciated

Hello all

I'm an avid shutterbug who's looking to foray into the world of digital photography. My old Canon 35MM has a slight case of "lens-crack-itis" so I need to replace, and to save myself the cost of film and developing, I'm going digital.

I have a few options I'm debating right now:
Fuji Finepix S602 zoom (current favorite)
Canon Powershot G3 (close 2nd)
Olympus C-760 (not really prosumer, I guess, but love the zoom)

I take a ton of outdoor nature shots, so the Canon's lower zoom is really taking it out of the running. I'd also like to be doing some nighttime shooting, lots of farm-scene shots (farmkid), and indoor shots during family events.

I can get a good price on the 602 + microdrive right now, so I'm leaning heavily towards them, but I've got an open ear to other recommendations. 3-4 MP is honestly enough for me, I just need features more then anything (doubtful I'll ever print off anything bigger then 8x10).

Feel free to email me directly ([email protected]) or ICQ me at 4164442. Thanks a bunch.
Thood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2003, 9:39 PM   #2

You probably won't go wrong with the S602, but you will go wrong if you don't at least compare it to the Minolta 7i

http://steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/dimage7i.html
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2003, 12:35 PM   #3

Personally I really like the 602 and would choose that.

Forget the microdrive - too fragile and no good in low temps.

Go for two 512mb CFs instead and probably save a few bob too.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2003, 12:37 PM   #4

"Forget the microdrive - too fragile and no good in low temps. "

Really? Dang...hmmmm...in what way is it fragile, and what temperatues would you consider "low"? I'm likely going to grab a card to go along with the drive, but curious to find out whether the microdrive might be a pain in the butt.
Old Jun 10, 2003, 12:46 PM   #5

Heh, that, and the Minolta 7i there looks like a ~really~ nice camera, without some of the quirks of the 602. Not sure what kind of pricing I can get on one, though...going to have to check that out. Gah, too many choices...where's my lottery ticket... 8)
Old Jun 10, 2003, 12:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve6
Forget the microdrive - too fragile and no good in low temps.
Not sure what you mean by low temp, but both my 360M and 1G microdrive work just fine at -10F (-25C). The fragility of the microdrive mainly comes into play when handling it. With reasonable care, you aren't likely to have problems.

Given the drop in the price of solid state memory, the microdrives don't have the big advantage they had a couple of years ago so I'm not sure I'd get one now.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2003, 1:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by low temp
Me neither, just something I read somewhere. Anyway with CFs etc being so big and cheap what's the point?

As for fragile they have moving parts so solid state should be better and again I've read they are fragile more than once or twice.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2003, 4:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve6
... I've read they are fragile more than once or twice. ...
Very true, I have read the same thing - about solid state memory as well as about microdrives.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2003, 12:02 AM   #9

Gah, blast it all...
Okay, that Minolta looks a ~way~ too much like what I want in a camera. Dang. DiMage 7i it is.

No local retailers which carry Minolta products, though - anyone have any good online dealerships they've had success with?

Thanks again for the help all, much obliged.
Old Jun 11, 2003, 7:54 AM   #10
lg

You might want to add the Olympus C-2100 to your list-- it was my first choice to replace my Contax 139Q SLR. It has the same look and feel of the SLR, but it's only 2 MP. It will print very good 8x10's but you lose some flexibility on cropping. In addition to very sharply focused and correctly exposed pics, I like the image stabilization and focus-assist light, and the fact it uses regular AA batteries. It also includes just about all the bells and whistles you could imagine on a camera, important to me for learning/experimenting. With the lower price for a refurbished camera, you can afford to purchase additional lenses, memory, batteries, etc. at the same price as some of your other options.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote