Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 10, 2003, 3:00 PM   #1

Default Will software help?

I had a stroke several years ago leaving my left arm nearly totaly useless. I used to do mostly outdoor photo work, generaly in the woods deer, birds whatever shows up,so a big zoom is nice. My question is simply does anyone have any experience with "genuine Fractals" plug-in as a way to overcoming the puny 2mp ccd in the panasonic FZ-1?
GeezerGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2003, 4:03 PM   #2

I don't have it, but I have heard nothing but good things about genuine fractals.

If someone has it, you could see if they'd try to blow up a shot for you. You'd just have to post the picture somewhere they could download it.

Another thing might be something like what is available on: http://www.fredmiranda.com

They offer some PS actions to do smooth enlarging. I doubt they have one for that camera (its mostly high end stuff), but I believe they do it by incremental enlarging and then sharpen at the end. You might consider signing up for that site and asking in their forums.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2003, 10:35 AM   #3

Default Here is an Example

http://jsample.hungryminds.com

take a look at the picture of my wife. It was taken with a 2MP Oly 2100UZ and then enlarged with Genuine Fractals so that I could print it at 11x14.

It enlarged very well and you can still see the wrinkles on her hands with no jaggies even though it was enlarged over 200%

Hope this helps you,
James

PS. The fuzziness was casued by not enough light in the original and not from the enlargement.
samplejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2003, 11:03 AM   #4

Default Re: Will software help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezerGeek
I had a stroke several years ago leaving my left arm nearly totaly useless. I used to do mostly outdoor photo work, generaly in the woods deer, birds whatever shows up,so a big zoom is nice. My question is simply does anyone have any experience with "genuine Fractals" plug-in as a way to overcoming the puny 2mp ccd in the panasonic FZ-1?
It will depend on the same answers to the "How big a print can I make?" question: depends on subject, viewing distance, eye of the beholder, ... From what I have heard, Genuine Fractals (and other software) will do a good job, but if you get nothing even close to usable with PS or IrfanView's upsizing, the better upsizing software won't do it either. They will do better, but not enough better to salvage a really bad photo/subject.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2003, 11:56 AM   #5

Hello Geek...

Try the demo version of Genuine Fractals at Lizard's Website.

The product is a plug-in for Photoshop (but it also works fine in Elements). There's an "LE" version that limits your output to 10MB that's fairly inexpensive. The full blown version is pricey at about $150.

The program is a little convoluted to use, but works just fine. You have to save the picture in a propietary format, re-open it and run the program to pump up the pixels.

I have cropped some eagle pix down a long way, then "rezzed" them up enough to print at 8 X 10. Recently bought a telephoto converter, so that'll improve the originals. I'll be doing some large format (13 X 19) printing as soon as the paper arrives. My camera is only 2.6 MP, but GF has made it possible to grow the pictures pretty well.

Take a look at the June issue of Outdoor Photographer magazine. It has some great info on printing big prints from small files.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2003, 12:48 PM   #6

GFs out classes any other up-sampling thingy I've used - it works great.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2003, 1:38 PM   #7

All good and valid answers, but there is a caveat here. No matter how good the interpolation algorithm, it can "ONLY" do its job when there is good data to work with.

Two megapixels is quite sufficient to capture a beautiful head and shoulders portrait with sufficient capture resolution to allow seriously large prints.

On the other hand, if you try to take an infinity focus landscape containing lots of fine detail and use GF or any interpolation software to make a suitable large print you will likely be dissapointed in the results. There absolutely MUST be sufficient sampling sites to handle the amount of geography in the frame. The more area in the shot, the less enlargement potential. This goes for ANY digital or film camera.

Interpolation is not magic, it simply allows you to make what you have actually captured larger. Sometimes what looks great at 4x6 will fail badly at 8x10. Just don't expect miracles and maximize the potential by using as much zoom and tele adapter as possible for distant shots.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote