Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 19, 2006, 2:00 AM   #1

I am buying a Sony DSC-H5 and I know I need a memory stick. Which is better Sony or Sandisk? Also do I need to get the high speed card. Is the Sandisk Ultra II line the same as the Sony High Speed line. Also do I need a Circular Polarizing filter and/or a UV filter and if so what is a good brand for those? Can you put both filters on the camera at the same time or is that a bad idea?
Trish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2006, 6:33 AM   #2

Sony is original equipment; SanDisk is aftermarket. The SanDisk name is highly regarded among most photographers as a supplier of reliable memory products. You won't go wrong with either. High-speed can save images faster (depending on the camera) but will generally cost more.

As far as filters, many photographers (myself included) put and keep a UV filter on the front of their lenses, It does filter UV light which can do strange things to colors, but I use it mainly for the "klutz" factor, avoiding damage from the occasional bumps and scrapes that occur in the field. A filter is cheaper than a lens. A circle polarizer is always a good idea to have but should only be used AS NEEDED, to reduce glare or unwanted reflections from objects or water. It is a creative tool.

Good filter brands include Hoya, Cokin, and some folks include Tiffen (if multi-coated). I usually get mine from photo swap-meets where stores send reps to unload overstock equipment and are willing to haggle price. I recentlysnagged a 62 mm Hoya circular polarizer for $8 US!

stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 10:25 AM   #3

You could buy a cheaper linear PL unless you wanted the CPL for a dslr as well ..
Meeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 1:32 PM   #4

I do not have a DSLR. So I can use a Linear Polarizer instead of a Circular Polarizer? Also how will the regular Memory Stick Pro Duo instead of the high speed variety affect the behaviour of the camera. Will it make it slower?
Trish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 5:31 PM   #5

Yes you can use a linear.

The highspeed stick might shavea second or sooff shot to shot times, but I doubt its worth the money..

Perhaps someone in the forum has taken timings and can judge if its worth it.

If the H5 had a decent burst mode it would be useful, but the H series cameras don't..

It will probably make most difference when transferring pictures down to the computer .

Sony/SanDisk MS Pro:around 1.875MB/s

Sony MS Pro High Speed: 10 MB/s
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote