Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 19, 2006, 11:52 PM   #1

First I want to say hello to everyone here..."Hello everyone".... Now on to the real reason for being here. I'm new (well old) to photography and even newer to the digi world anyway I studied photography in high school some 20 yearsago and I still have my manual nikon camera and lenses( Camera doesn't work but lenses look ok). I'm looking to purchase a Nikon D70s and I was wondering if the older manual lenses would work on the new digital camera. Thanks in advance.
Mr. Bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2006, 5:13 AM   #2

That depends on exactly how old those lenses are. There are adapters out there that will allowyou to attacholder lenses on new cameras but usually with 1) the loss of auto-focusing and 2) the loss of automatic exposure. This is due to the fact there is no electronic connection between camera and lens. In my opinion, if you're new to digital photography you may not want to start off having to manually focus and meter every shot. Usually the aforementioned adapters are used if the photographer has a special vintage lens (i.e. extremely long telephoto, fisheye, etc.) they want to use and a new one would break the bank. Start off and learn with at least one new lens designed for your camera; experiment with adapters later.

stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 9:02 AM   #3

I'm not particularly familiar with Nikon, but I understand that most of its older manual focus lenses DO work on new digital SLR's. They work just as they did when they were new. Obviously there is some difference between that, and how the new cameras/lenses work (in other words, your D70 with kit lens can be fully auto, but the old lenses will make you manual focus, manualy adjust aperture, etc).

If nikon has more than one type of lens mount, then were talking different animals, so you should check your lenses specifically.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 12:38 PM   #4

Thanks guys I'm on my way to get my Nikon D70s w a 18-70mm zoom
Mr. Bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 3:57 PM   #5

Nikon have not changed their lens mount, so the old lenses will physically attach to your new digital body. However, depending on how old your lens are, they may have limited functionality.

If the lenses are not autofocus, then, obviously AF will not work on the camera. As digital cameras are designed for AF, manual focusing is not nearly as easy as it was on that only Nikon body. The focus screens no longer have a microprism or split image focus assist.

If your lenses are not new enough, you may also find that you cannot meter with them on the camera, or that metering will require you to make manual adjustments, rather than metering being fully automatic.

But the lenses will work fine. The smaller size of the sensor (smaller than 35mm frame) requires a bit of a rethink as far as focal length is concerned. Most Nikon's use the 1.5x focal length multiplier, so a 50mm lens becomes the equivalent (field of view) as a 75mm and a 100mm would become a 150mm.

Not so bad with telephotos, but a real pain with wide angles, where a 20mm (quite wide) becomes a 30mm (not so wide).

Finally, I would check to see if you can use a lens that is not AI. Those you may have a problem mounting.
Hope that helps.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote