Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 10, 2003, 11:29 PM   #1

Default Slow Shutter in Sunny areas

Now I was trying to do that "cotton" effect with waterfalls today, but I can not seem to get them to work properly.

I set my camera to Shutter Priority and start with the shutter at say 1/4 a second with a F8.0(max) setting.

Now what I get is a totally overexposed shot.

The camera tells me the F8.0 shot is far to high a setting (isnt the larger the F stop the smaller the apeture?)

Anyway, I had to go all the way down to a 1/550 to get the picture to come out somewhat. I had my back to the sun (and it was partally cloudy)

Anyone know what else I can do to fix this? Do I need something else to help allow less light into the lens with a longer exposure?

I have a Canon a60, and using it's "Slow" mode doesn't give the cotton effect at all.

Thanx for the suggestions!!
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2003, 11:35 PM   #2

Gimli,
The old (and still good) method is to use an ND filter (neutral density) , take a look on line or at a store and get some at different value (density)
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2003, 11:39 PM   #3

Ah cool thank you, I'll have to see what my store carries in the way of those filters

Thanx!
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2003, 11:45 PM   #4

According to my back-of-the-envelope calculations, you'd have to have the camera at settings 1/4, F80 to match the exposure of 1/550, F8. I don't think you'll find a lens with that small an aperture.
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2003, 7:07 AM   #5

Tongue in cheek and as resourceful as ever! I'd say take off your genuine polaroid shades (not Raybans!), unclip the lenses, hold together, rotate for darkness and try it in front of the lens. Yes I know it's not optically correct - flare/bloom curvature and all that, but if you happen to be wearing a pair it might be better than nothing.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2003, 8:23 AM   #6

Voxmagna's idea is great, those are polarized glasses , mine can not be separated though
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2003, 5:06 PM   #7

A drastic measure would be to move over here to the UK we have no problems with bright sunshine - I think the last time we saw some of that was in 1976 :lol:

Sorry Gimli couldn't resisit that. If you find out that the A60 can take filters lemme know as I thought they couldn't and would be delighted to be proven wrong.

Stef

http://stefan.fotopic.net/show_collection.php?id=26574http://<br /> <br /> Some pics of ... my pics above
stefank is offline   Reply With Quote