Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 21, 2006, 2:26 PM   #1

#1 Does this camera come with a diopter dial on the view-finder, like some (S3 etc..)

#2 If I slaved a couple of Metz 60-CT flashes .. would the light source from the a630 set um off?

#3 Do they make a good size rubber eye cup ?

#4 I'm so new to digital .. so errr, please dont flame me .. :?
Digifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2006, 7:33 PM   #2
Administrator

Digifo wrote:
Quote:
#1 Does this camera come with a diopter dial on the view-finder, like some (S3 etc..)
No diopter adjustment

Quote:
#2 If I slaved a couple of Metz 60-CT flashes .. would the light source from the a630 set um off?
You'd need to use a "digital aware" slave trigger and trigger them via a PC Sync connection from a separate trigger.

The sensors in most digital cameras are too reflective to meter from during the flash exposure (like you could do with Off the Film metering). So, most digital cameras use a metering preflash to help gauge exposure instead.

Basically, the camera fires a very short flash about 100ms before the main flash. Then, based on on much reflected light is returned from the preflash, the camera decides how long to make the main flash burst.

The problem with this system is that it will set off optical slaves too soon. IOW, they'll fire when they see the preflash instead of the main flash, and you'll get underexposed images (the slaves won't contribute anything to the actual image exposure).

So, you need to use a "Digital Aware" trigger instead.

Wein makes a "Digital Aware" slave trigger that is designed to ignore a preflash. They run $79.95 a 3 pack at B&H (or $34.95 each).

Wein Digital Peanut Slave Triggers

Quote:
#3 Do they make a good size rubber eye cup ?
Not that I'm aware of. This is a very tiny viewfinder with about 80-85% coverage.

It's not TTL (through the lens). It uses a separate optical path (so you'll have some parallax at closer ranges, too).

I'd make sure to try out any camera you consider in a store to make sure you can live with the viewfinder, ergonomics, etc. It sounds like you're accustomed to a larger SLR (since you're using Metz strobes). The models you've mentioned are not in the same class of camera as an SLR.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 3:41 AM   #3

Wowww .. thanks Jim ..

It may take a few days to get an answer around here .. but woah .. when I do .. you guys rawk!

Thanks a bunch .. ya, I work with Pentax 6x7 medium formats .. and just now getting into digi .. not so much for my clients, but just for me to play with.

I'm now looking at the Canon G7 .. omg .. what a lil beaut .. lol

Thanks again for your consice response and the info on the peanut slave triggers.. awesome!
Digifo is offline   Reply With Quote