Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 23, 2006, 3:25 PM   #1

I have been doing photography for about 4 years and my pictures turn out decent. People say Ihave an eye but i need official training. I took a photo class in high school but didn't bother to learn the F- stop and ISO regulations. I usually set my camera to Automatic and it works for me. I just want someone to kinda lay it out if possible or is it ok just to stay on automatic... Thanks, Ali
Attached Images

alceve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2006, 3:58 PM   #2

You may want resize future posts so they are 800 pixels or less wide.

Viewing it with a monitor resolution of 1024x768 I have to scroll across to see the image, and lets say those of us on a 800 wide screen will object even more..

Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 4:20 PM   #3

Learning the controls of your camera, and the effects of ISO, aperture, and shutter speed will increase your versatility. You will be the boss of the camera and be able to command it to make what you want of the image instead of just taking what the camera sets. The picture that you posted shows you have an eye for composition, which is controlling what is in the frame. Using the other features of your camera allows you to control how the contents of the frame are recorded.

Entire books have been written on the subject, and you should read one. Got a library card? Get a basic photography book - doesn't have to be digital - and read. And read it with your camera and manual in front of you. Don't waste your money on buying a book, because after you read it and practice it a little it will become second nature and you can spend your money on printing instead.

The smartest advice I ever got in photography wasthis reminder: "The cheapest thing in your camera bag is the film." It's even cheaper with digital photography (like, zero), so shoot, shoot, shoot. Experiment and look at the results.
docmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 7:24 PM   #4

I agree with all above - in particular, make the images you post smaller.

In addition, you should look at the EXIF data in the photos you have taken. That will contain the f/stop, shutter speed, ISO, ... information for each image. As you read a book or two, experiment, look at your photos and their EXIF data. Do that several times and you will have the basics figured out.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 7:24 PM   #5

I agree with all above - in particular, make the images you post smaller.

In addition, you should look at the EXIF data in the photos you have taken. That will contain the f/stop, shutter speed, ISO, ... information for each image. As you read a book or two, experiment, look at your photos and their EXIF data. Do that several times and you will have the basics figured out.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote