Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 25, 2006, 10:58 PM   #1

I have a Sony T30 and have started getting some great clips of my grandson, however, some of them are way too long so I want to shorten them. I'd also like to know how I can change whatever the 2-file system sony uses to a single file that has both audio and video?

Where do I find some simple freeware to edit the video without losing the original file which is what sony does with the camera edit.

Thanks...
drgrafix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2006, 7:00 AM   #2

If you are using Windows XP, then you most likely have the Microsoft Movie Maker somewhere on your hard drive. I have no idea what it's capabilities are, but at least it's free.

There are also quite a few movie editing programs that come in around the $100 mark, including offerings from Adobe and Sony.

You can also take a look here: www.doom9.org
Click on the 'Downloads' on the left side.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 8:05 AM   #3

Actually, I'm still using Windows 2000 Pro, so I don't know if the MS moviemaker would be available or would even work on my PC. The bigger question is what kind of files is the sony outputting? I tried a program like AVITricks and it doesn't recognize the files.

Sony includes a cutting feature in the camera itself, but notes that when you cut a video clip, the original clip is no longer accessible and cannot be put back together. Duh-Uh?

What I need to know is:

1. What kind of files are these two (2) files that the sony outputs to the memory card?

2. Can the files be converted to a single video (with audio) file format that is more or less a recognizeable standard?

3. Can the sony files as output by the camera be edited by a software editor of any kind (freeware or whatever) on a user's PC? And in this case, I don't want to spend $100 only to find out that the program is _not_ compatible with whatever file format the sony is using if it's proprietary.

This should be a lot easier than it is
drgrafix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 8:24 AM   #4

I looked and looked into what type of file that Sony uses in this camera and I can't find any information on it. Normally, these cameras use a simple MPG or AVI format but Sony likes to change it up a little and make it thier own.

You could try a few different programs to see if it will work with the file format and I would start with something from Sony. You can get a free trial of Sony Vegas 6 or Sony Vegas Movie Studio (watered down version of Vegas) from Sony. If these won't recognise the files I don't know what will.

http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/dow...p1.asp?catid=1

The above link will take you to Sony's download site and you can give them a shot. There is also Ulead and Adobe which both offer a free trial but you may be limited when using Windows 2000. Make sure you have the latest Service Pack for 2000 and you should be ok.

Good Luck,

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:47 AM   #5

If you want to "edit" AVI or any movie, it might be a good idea to consider a Mac.**It includes software that* simpllfies * *editing movies*I know... it is not the solution.. I also run Windows 2000 Pro and XP Pro* on my Mac using VPC*Buying a (used)* Mac* may be a cheaper option. I use iMovie, iPhoto and iDvd,* Adobe Elements ( came with camera ) .... When I had my Sony FD 91 it was so easy to edit even those small 320 AVI clips on the floppy disk. On windows you will see 2 files, in the mac 1. Each system sees the files differntly. QT or quicktime, a software ultilty is free for both platforms but it requires an upgrade to QT Pro ( $29 ) for cut and paste AVI/movie clips. As for the Ulead and other windows programs, I hear they are good.... but have not used* them as I have had Macs since the early SE model.* In fact some are free with CD/DVD burnersAnother good idea is check Google... inquire on freeware or* shareware editingMIT has a respository of free software to do almost anything. It may be simple... I just know on the Mac I have been able to make movies, slideshows, add sound and voice overs* with the free garageband application.* iMovie allows editing and many thmes and menus.. all in all, I am not sayng the mac is the best for anyone, it just happens to be the best choice for me for all things digital.If you want more info. contact me direct. I'll tell you what I know. I dont want flames for making claims other may detest.. Mac vs PC is not what I mean. I use both.*
tommccarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 5:59 PM   #6

see my reply to a similar question here:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...627241#p627241

(And no, I can't find any freeware program or codec that works with the Sony movies, sorry)
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 6:48 PM   #7

OK, have you tried to copy the file.. then whatever you do to the copy won't mess up the originalThen... see if you can find a "convertor" application to change the movie onto another format.I don't have a copy of what you are shooting, but if you forward it to me I'll try... I do know the QT to AVI is possible. But even then to edit QT you have to pay the extra 29 bucks for the pro ability. I did in fact do just this when I shot the Sony FD91 video's. All on my MacintoshHowever, I have a dual processor G5 now and I just don't know what you can expect on your system. Can you shoot me a copy of the file? I will be only to glan to help if I can
tommccarty is offline   Reply With Quote