Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 28, 2006, 12:08 PM   #1

So I got my new panasonic dmc-tz1 camera and I love it! It has tons of bells and whistles and I am trying to figure out how everything works.

The problem is that when I put in some older sd cards from my other camera (2 different brands of SD card), one card's images looked so poor and grainy or wouldn't show at all, and the other card showed some clear images, and other images as grainy.

This has got me worried. I already ordered two new sd cards and am worried about this problem. When I use the built in memory in the camera then the pictures look nice and clear and bright.

The directions say the SD cards have to be f32 or something like that....but when I ordered the SD cards they didn't say anything about f16 or f32.....ugh!

What do I do? Time is running out!

ilovetotravel29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2006, 1:06 PM   #2

Why do you still have images on your SD cards from your other camera?

You need to dump those images to your computer and save them on a CD or DVD, or put them on a storage/viewing device. Then you can REFORMAT the cards in your new camera and all shots taken with the new camera will look just fine.

Trying to use old camera's photo files on a card in a new camera often fails and causes problems. Though it does occasionally work, I would never count on it.If you have no way to get your files onto your computer for storage, purchase a card reader and attach it to your computer.

If you wish to keep with you at all times your photos so you can show them, get a device made just for that purpose such as the Epson P4000 or any of the otherfar cheaper storage viewers.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 3:29 PM   #3

Well, I kept the images on the cards because I want to have as many backups of my pics as possible.

So, the new SD cards I ordered should work fine in the camera, right?
Old Nov 28, 2006, 3:37 PM   #4

The new cards should work fine, but using your SD cards as storage will get pretty expensive pretty quickly. As you've found, typically one camera cannot read images taken on a different camera. Get an external harddrive....they are cheap (under $100 for a 60 or 80 gig) and store your images on that. This will free up your old cards, which should work fine in your new camera as well. Just format them using the camera's menu prior to taking pictures.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 4:56 PM   #5

I bought a usb card reader for easier loading into my computer and I am thinking of uploading all of my pics to an online site so that if my computer ever crashes, I will have them somewhere.

Thanks for the info on the harddrive---I should definitely invest in one for important files and pics!