Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 1, 2006, 1:54 PM   #1

hi, i have a fuji s1 pro and when i transfer shots to my laptop from memory card reader it is saving them as a tif file?, i need jpeg how do i change it?. thanks.
nelly3164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2006, 2:16 PM   #2

I believe the program irfanview can do it, which is a free image editor.
I would expect the S1 pro can be configured to shoot jpg (but I don't honestly know for sure.) But I realize you don't have the manual, so that might be tricky.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 2:28 PM   #3
Administrator

The reason you're seeing them as TIFF is because you're shooting in TIFF. You need to change your camera settings if you want JPEG instead. ;-)

If you're in any of the record (shooting modes) and press your FUNC key, you'll get to more options on the smaller mono display (White Balance, ISO sensitivity, Image Quality and Image Size).

Available Quality settings include Basic (JPEG), Normal (JPEG), Fine (JPEG), and Hi (TIFF). You probably have it set to shoot in Hi (TIFF). Set it to Fine if you want JPEG instead and are willing to sacrifice the small quality differences.

If you already have photos shot in TIFF, most image editors will allow you to choose JPEG when you use their Save As option. Irfanview (as eric s mentioned) is one popular editor that can convert your TIFF files to JPEG.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 2:37 PM   #4

thanks jimc that has sorted it!. its good to know that total beginers like me can get much needed help and instructions off this forum, i hope to be posting my photos soon, and will keep asking questions and learning off yourselves. thanks!.
nelly3164 is offline   Reply With Quote