Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 6, 2006, 8:24 AM   #1

I have been pretty disappointed with my camera I bought. When I bought the Cannon power shot S3is I thought I was buying a great camera. Well for the price I payed I am not to happy yet. I wanted a Camera that I could video my son doing gymnastics and take pic at the same time. I put it to the test sunday, But I didn't video this time. Well I placed the camera on sports setting thinking that the sports setting will be good action shoots. Well all my pic. are covered with lots of noise. I realy need some help here. I realy do not like feeling that I wasted money on a camera!!! can ya'll please help!
jerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2006, 9:29 AM   #2

Jerd,

I do a lot of sports photography so I feel your pain. Noise occurs at higher ISO values. I'm not sure what ISO the S3 defaults to in sports mode, but I wouldn't think it is very high. I would have expected the results to still be blurry because the camera didn't use a high enough ISO. Can you post an example?

In any event, the S3 will get you some pretty good action shots outdoors. But, I'm afraid it probably isn't up to the task of taking gymnastics shots. In most of the venues where I've shot gymnastics, the lighting is usually very poor. I've typically had to use ISO 3200 and an f2.8 lens - something the S3 is not capable of doing.

Here's the thing - action sports requires fast shutter speeds. Let's say 1/320 is the absolute bare minimum you need (you'll still see a lot of blur in hands and feet). The other 2 components controlling exposure - aperture and ISO need to be adjusted to get that shutter speed. The sports mode on most cameras will typically set the ISO only up to a certain level - much lower than you need for indoor sports. So, you usually have to set that manually. As I indicated, I often use 3200 which I don't believe is available on the S3. Now the S3 has a nice lens capable of 2.8-3.5 which is very good for a digicam. But it is only capable of ISO 3200. Which means in most gyms you'll probably end up with shutter speeds around 1/60 - 1/125 - even at ISO 800. Unfortunately I will tell you this - I use a Canon 20D - probably one of the best non-pro sports cameras available and gymnastics is probably the most challenging sport I shoot. Even though digicams have made progress in high ISO performance I don't think there is any digicam on the market that is going to do a very good job at gymnastics.

All that asside -
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 9:33 AM   #3

Roughly the same response I provided in your previous post:

http://stevesforums.com/forums/view_...579007#p579007
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 9:13 PM   #4

I keep trying to attach a picture but its keep saying that its to big. I even resized it to 640 X 480 still keeps saying to big.
jerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 9:33 PM   #5

jerd says: I keep trying to attach a picture but its keep saying that its to big. I even resized it to 640 X 480 still keeps saying to big.

You have to pay attention to the file size as well as the pixel dimensions. The last time I looked at the file size requirements on pictures posted on these forums, the upper limit was 244kb (kilobytes). Likely, you have to use a higher JPEG compression setting to get within the limit.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote