Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 22, 2003, 8:43 AM   #1

Default New To Cameras .... Your Help On What To Get.

OK i new to cameras. SO ive been looking about and reaqding some reviews etc ...

I want to get a digital camera soon once i have the money, i dont really wanna spend over 200.
I was looking at the Cannon Powershot A300 or the Sony DSC P-32. How good are these two cameras as the reviews i read said they are good for beginners. Now the sony has a digital zoom X3 and the Cannons digital zoom is X5, but nether have a optical zoom, is a opitical zoom needed, or is just a digital zoom fine ?

I need the camera to give good picture quality.Im gonna be taking photos in and out doors, so i would like it to give good quality both in and out.I aint really gonna be getting in to photograph as a hobby.

Or are there some other good cameras under the 200 mark that are maybe better.

The main reason i was looking at these two was because there both 3mp ....

So your opinions and help ...

Thanks
Jedi Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2003, 9:08 AM   #2

well oh jedi master look at digital zoom from this perspective. you have a sensor(imager) of 3.2 million pixels the method of zooming now is to quite literally crop a section out of the imager and blow it up electronically. what you now have is an image created from substantially less pixels(depending on the zoom level used) with a dash of interpolation(mathamatical guessing) done by the processor via a fairly sophisticated algorythim.

will it do for you i don't know. but the concensus of camera users on this forum seems to have never used ther electronic zooms (in addition to ther optical one) on cameras that have it available on them.

optical zoom enlarges images by magnifying them optically and placing said image on the same 3.2 million pixels. rendering in my opinion a much higher quality image overall. this of course depends on the quality of your lens.

i hope that has helped and welcome to the group.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2003, 12:27 PM   #3

So if i understand correctly, digital zoom takes the image and crops it then blows the new cropped section up using less pixels, but optical zoom takes the images and magnifys the image using all the pixel range of the camera giving a better image.

Ok so what other cameras would you people recomend that has optical zoom, giving good picture quality in and out doors, that under 200. ?

Im really only gonna be taken snap shots, but then again if i go away i might want something that has a decent zoom with picture quality.

I Know the cannon powershot A300 and the sony dsc p32 dont have optical zoom, but which of the two is the better camera ?,not forgeting that the cannon has a X5 digital zoom and the sony has a X3 digital zoom.

Thanks
Old Jun 24, 2003, 1:43 PM   #4

Forget digital zooms you can zoom digitally better on your computer later. Digital zoom are about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

Take a look at this - a good camera for the dosh!!

http://www.sherwoods-photo.co.uk/can...l/a300_fs.html

The FinePix A204 Zoom is an ideal combination of 2.0 megapixel performance, 3X optical zoom - 160

Don't forget the Nickel Metal hydride (NiMH) rechargeable batteries and charger.

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/prod...ducts_id=27877 18 with 4 x 2000 mah bats.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2003, 1:14 PM   #5

Ok thanks for the help. Im new here so i dont wanna sound rude, but know one has really anwsered my question as to which is better, the Sony DSC - P32 or the Cannon Powershot A300.I know these two dont have optical zoom, only digital, but i would still like to know which is the better camera on picture quality both in doors and out doors.

Plus some other suggestions on some other cameras for under 200, that maybe has optical zoom plus has good picture quality both in and out doors.........

Thanks once again.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 1:33 PM   #6

Ok thanks for the help. Im new here so i dont wanna sound rude, but know one has really anwsered my question as to which is better, the Sony DSC - P32 or the Cannon Powershot A300.I know these two dont have optical zoom, only digital, but i would still like to know which is the better camera on picture quality both in doors and out doors.

Plus some other suggestions on some other cameras for under 200, that maybe has optical zoom plus has good picture quality both in and out doors.........

I'm afraid I can't answer the first question.

200 aint much to spend on digital cameras so your choice is very limited. I can vouch for the Fuji as my mate has and I had an earlier model -both V good.

For what it's worth, the optical zoom is a must in my opinon. If a cam hasn't got it forget it.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2003, 3:52 PM   #7

I'm with Steve all the way on this one.

Again I cannot offer a compariosn between the two cams.

I have not tried the digital zoom on my Canon A70 and am only ever likely to do so purely as a test. Any reviews you read ANYWHERE not just here, camera mags etc do indeed paint the picture that digital zooms are about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike or as John Prescott as a politician or an example of an evolved life form (I think that makes it pretty clear).

I also agree that 200 doesn't go very far at this point in time.

I too was originally looking at spending little (I really wanted 150 or less) but quickly realised this would not get me much.

I then did some research and felt to get the spec of cam I wanted I would need to stretch this budget too 200-300.

I then thought about it rationally and thought "How long is this cam likely to last me ?" When I started thinking in these terms I figured even 300 stretched over how long it would serve me and then divide the increase in cost by the number of years it would serve me and I felt the extra expense was worth it.

I plumped for the Canon A70 which I managed to pick up for 250.

Stef
stefank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2003, 3:59 PM   #8

OK, thanks for your help,i will take your advice and look for a camera with optical zoom, and go above 200.I didnt wanna spend a big amount of cash as i would'nt be using it constantly.

But once i have the money and have had alook at other cameras on the market i'll come back for opinions on the new choice's i have mad.

Thanks.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 4:16 PM   #9

Oh forgot to mention - the cost of the Cam will not be the total cost of your entry into digital photography.

Rechargeable batteries and charger are a must as is more memory -the amount that comes with most cams , especially at the cheaper end of the market is sadly inadequate.

Hence my 250 grew to 448 !! :shock:

Though that did include a tripod and my choice of charger was for a top of the pile (and price to match) model

Do expect to add at least 50

Stef
stefank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2003, 10:32 PM   #10

Some discussion about digital zoom

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...287&highlight=
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote