Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 7, 2006, 12:49 PM   #1

Hi, my name is Richie, I currently use a DMC-FZ4 Panasonic Lumix digital camera. I like it alot even though it's a relatively low megapixel camera compared to what is now the same price this year.

I found the forum today when I had a near miss experience with www.thedigitalexpo.com and was very glad to find this forum and the information posted here about that scam site.

My fiance wants a Casio Exilim EX-Z70 for Christmas and I haven't found many bad reviews for it, so I'm excited for her.

She had a Cannon Powershot A510 before and it had some kind of defective LCD that eventaully just popped under the pressure of the casing. (It was in her purse stationary when it blew).

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello and see what this forum is all about. I'm not an expert about photography, but I do really enjoy taking pictures with my Lumix.

DMCFZRichie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2006, 2:51 PM   #2

Glad to have you here.
We're a rather friendly, knowledgeable bunch. I hope you like your stay.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2006, 3:20 PM   #3

Welcome, take off your shoes & stay awhile.......
Old Dec 8, 2006, 7:24 AM   #4

4 megapixels is nothing to sneeze at (says the guy with two 3.2-megapixel cameras who is happy with them). As long as it does what you want it to do, it's fine. My DiMage Z1 will do 8x10" prints that look fine to my eyes, and I've only made one bigger than that (11x16") once in 25 years of happy snapping.
Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 8:04 AM   #5

eric s wrote:
Quote:
Glad to have you here.
We're a rather friendly, knowledgeable bunch. I hope you like your stay.

Eric

So far I've already gotten quite a bit of new info and use out of the site (mainly confirming my thoughts about www.thedigitalexpo.com being a fraud thus far), and I hope to oneday soon post some pictures. I don't always know what I'm doing, but sometimes I stumble upon some decent pics and I'd like to learn more about framing shots/the actual techniques used to capture great photos.

Thank you for the welcome.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 8:05 AM   #6

Kalypso wrote:
Quote:
Welcome, take off your shoes & stay awhile.......
I'm not sure if you guys would be so welcoming if I did take off my shoes!
Old Dec 8, 2006, 8:08 AM   #7

Tom LaPrise wrote:
Quote:
4 megapixels is nothing to sneeze at (says the guy with two 3.2-megapixel cameras who is happy with them). As long as it does what you want it to do, it's fine. My DiMage Z1 will do 8x10" prints that look fine to my eyes, and I've only made one bigger than that (11x16") once in 25 years of happy snapping.

Hm, I guess that's a great point. And yes, I've been quite happy with my FZ4 (except for a pesky low-light pre-flash autofocus issue). It makes great 4x6s and 8x11s. I haven't tried it on anything larger, but the printouts look great at those sizes.

The thing I like best about my FZ4 is that it really captures colors well and makes some of my photos look better than other cameras I've owned have, even when I don't know what I'm doing. It really makes me look good. lol

I figure once I learn how to actually use it well, then I'll make it look as good as it's done for me (hopefully). Thanks for the welcome!
Old Dec 19, 2006, 4:51 PM   #8

:X Theyare the worst! I ordered a camera from them to give to someone for Christmas. Never heard a word. Finally called them today, December 19th.

They told me it was canceled because they did not have the item. I ordered it on December 8th. When were they going to tell me?

nickx281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 7:24 AM   #9

nickx281 wrote:
Quote:
:X Theyare the worst! I ordered a camera from them to give to someone for Christmas. Never heard a word. Finally called them today, December 19th.

They told me it was canceled because they did not have the item. I ordered it on December 8th. When were they going to tell me?

I'm sorry you ordered from them, that's very unfortunate. They are notorious for exactly what happened to you. It's really a shock that they're still in business!!