Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 8, 2006, 8:10 PM   #1

I'm looking for a lens and I'm confused which one to get. I've looked at the Sigma 17-70 and the 24-70, I'm hoping that it will be a good walk around lens.
also what is the different between the

24-70 w/angle Telephoto asperical
24-70 w/angle Telephoto macro

they are both f2.8 and min focus is 1.3 were the 17-70 min focus is 7.9

These lenses are getting confusing to me..

Thanks alot
hmcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2006, 1:49 PM   #2

You've got a type-o there. Both have the same zoom range. Could you fix that?

The difference between the "macro" and "non-macro" is usually just what you listed, that the macro has a much closer min focusing distance. And it probably allows for a larger f-stop.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2006, 3:08 PM   #3

Acutally they are both the same range here is the page they are on the bottom and I was trying to figure out why one is more expensive than the other. Ones 315 and the other is 390. Thanks

http://sigma4less.com/sess/utn;jsess...pos=2&mnt=
hmcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 10:24 AM   #4

An aspheric lens has one or more aspherical elements (the curve is not a section of a sphere), which gives it better color correction than a lens with all spherical elements. The macro lens may or may not be aspheric, but it can focus closer to the camera.
Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 2:31 PM   #5

hmcfly wrote:
Quote:
Acutally they are both the same range here is the page they are on the bottom and I was trying to figure out why one is more expensive than the other. Ones 315 and the other is 390. Thanks

http://sigma4less.com/sess/utn;jsess...pos=2&mnt=
Hello:

Per my discussion with a Sigma customer service rep, the $315 lens has been out of production for about 1-1/2 years. The $390 lens is the current model and has digital grade coatings. Macro is just a tag they slapped on it to distinguish it from the predecessor. As you've pointed out, the min focus distance it the same.

You should review the Pentax/Samsung DSLR forum here. You'll find a user who repeatedly comments that he sees no performance gain from Sigma's current 'digital' coatings. However on other websites, and for this particular lens, there were lots of complaints about flare with the older lens. You also find considerable praise here for a less expensive ( but not a constant f2.8 )24-135mm Sigma lens.

In the USA, the EX Sigma lenses have a 1 year international + 3 extra year US warranty. The Sigma4Less folks are extremely nice, but keep in mind that their Sigma goods only carry the 1 year international warranty.

17 St. Photo has the current model of the 24-70mm lens for $369.00. I bought one from them. It didn't ship immediately, and I got some funny stories as to why not, but ultimately I received what appeared to be a brand new factory fresh lens with the full US warranty. FYI, it's a heavy lens, and there are mixed reviews on it. Compare it to the 24-60mm and 28-70mm Sigma alternates. They seem to get more solid reviews.

Cameta sells the 24-135 for $149.00. I don't believe this lens qualifies for the extended warranty.

Good luck.

Corey
CMotel is offline   Reply With Quote