Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 8, 2006, 8:13 PM   #1

Hey guys,

Just came back from a trip to mainland China and HK. Had a good time. Took a couple hundred shots. Any how, I didn't bother setting my camera resolution to "3:2" resolution as I didn't have any intention of printing them at "photo paper or postcard" sizes. I printed about a 100 shots in the 4x6 size. Found out I had lost some of my picture around the edges. Should have known better. Guess I should have set my camera to "3:2" if I was going print the pics without cropping them first...if I was going to have the photos printed at4x6.

And, it seems, if I don't use the 3:2 resolution setting and shot the photo at 5MP/Fine (the max setting on my camera)...that cropping the photosusing a5x7 setting (I'm using Picasa 2) gets me a picture size ratio that comes closest to the original. Keeping pretty much all of the original photo.

Do you guys crop all your photos before printing to either 4x6 or 5x7 paper sizes? And do you guys prefer either picture size? Seems 5x7 looks more "natural". 4x6 looks a bit "narrow".

Thanks.

DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2006, 1:54 AM   #2

Hey, Dark.....Since China is on the opposite side of the world, did you find that you also had to do a 180 degree rotation with Picasa when you returned so that all the pix wouldn't be upside down? :roll:

Bro', this is a minor issue in your post, but the use of the word "resolution" in reference to the "3:2" measurement should be replaced by the term, "aspect ratio."
Resolution is a measure of how many pixels there are in a given linear unit of space, whereas aspect ratio describes a unit relationship between length and width.

I think that pretty much all non-DSLR's shoot in a 4:3 aspect ratio -- although some have the option to shoot in 3:2 by doing some in-camera cropping. Since the popular 4x6 inch print has a 3:2 aspect ratio, if want to print a 4:3 image as a 4x6, you're going to lose some of the image.

If you are real picky about what gets cropped out, you have to crop the pix yourself to the right 3:2 AR (hopefully, using copies rather than the originals) before you send them out to get printed. Otherwise, you have to let the printer decide what to leave out -- which may or may not agree with your wishes.

Since I never send out digital pix, I just print at home to whatever size paper is appropriate for the dimensions of the image in question. So, I don't stick to any exact AR, I just crop a particular photo to include what I want and leave out what I don't want.

As far as a 4x6 looking more "natural" than a 5x7, I guess it depends whether you like movie screens or television screens more! To me, it just depends on the subject.

Grant

granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 9:04 AM   #3

granthagen wrote:
Quote:
Hey, Dark.....Since China is on the opposite side of the world, did you find that you also had to do a 180 degree rotation with Picasa when you returned so that all the pix wouldn't be upside down? :roll:

Bro', this is a minor issue in your post, but the use of the word "resolution" in reference to the "3:2" measurement should be replaced by the term, "aspect ratio."
Resolution is a measure of how many pixels there are in a given linear unit of space, whereas aspect ratio describes a unit relationship between length and width.

I think that pretty much all non-DSLR's shoot in a 4:3 aspect ratio -- although some have the option to shoot in 3:2 by doing some in-camera cropping. Since the popular 4x6 inch print has a 3:2 aspect ratio, if want to print a 4:3 image as a 4x6, you're going to lose some of the image.

If you are real picky about what gets cropped out, you have to crop the pix yourself to the right 3:2 AR (hopefully, using copies rather than the originals) before you send them out to get printed. Otherwise, you have to let the printer decide what to leave out -- which may or may not agree with your wishes.

Since I never send out digital pix, I just print at home to whatever size paper is appropriate for the dimensions of the image in question. So, I don't stick to any exact AR, I just crop a particular photo to include what I want and leave out what I don't want.

As far as a 4x6 looking more "natural" than a 5x7, I guess it depends whether you like movie screens or television screens more! To me, it just depends on the subject.

Grant

Hi Grant,

Thanks for your post.

As for using the word "resolution" instead of "aspect ratio"...I was aware of that when I was typing out my post. I just used "resolution" since that is the menu screen I have to be in to choose 3:2. Should I choose to shoot in 3:2 "aspect ratio". Can be confusing to other readers I suppose.

What if we did choose to shoot in "3:2 aspect ratio mode" and then print the images on 4x6 paper? Would the print then match the original shot? Or, would we still loose a little of the picture around the edges if we didn't crop it (4x6 crop) before hand?

And along the same lines...if we were to print a 4:3 image onto 5x7 paper...I'm assuming that we would need to crop the original image to a 5x7 aspect ratio before hand? If we didn't want to loose any part of the picture we wanted to keep?

Later dood.

Pagerboy,

Good point about keeping in mind that you could loose the edges of an image if you don't plan to do any cropping. Keeping the parts of the image you DO want away from the edges of the frame when composing the shot.

I wasn't thinking when I deciding to print my 4:3 images onto 4x6 paper without doing any PP work first. As I said. Should have known I'd loose some of the original shot. I had played around with Picasa 2. Live and learn. :-) But, I'm still wondering if I shoot in 3:2 mode will the prints then exactly match the original shots if printed on 4x6 paper? That, only then will I not loose any of the original shot with without doing any crop work.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 9:11 AM   #4

I use a program called JPEGCrops because I noticed that my 4x6 photos weren't cropped right(didn't know about the aspect ratio). 5x7 is close to 4:3 so there is not much loss but to get a 4x6 I have to take that in account when taking the photo(S1IS with 4:3 aspect ratio) and leave more room on the sides.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 11:52 AM   #5

I think the best bet is to leave your camera on the standard 4:3 and make sure there is some space at the top and bottom – or on the short side if you hold the camera with the long side up.

If your camera is set to 3:2 you are just cropping in the camera and losing pixels. 3:2 is less appropriate for most standard print sizes, so you are doing a double crop to get a 5 X 7, 8 X 10, 11 X 14 etc. If you get a great photo and want to have a 16 X 20 made for your wall you get better quality starting with 4:3. Even for an 8.5 X 11 you could probably see the difference starting with 3:2 and doing the double crop with a 5Mp camera.

I wouldn't think of wasting ink and paper on a print without taking it through the image editor. So it is easy to crop to my print size while I am messing with other stuff. I find that many of my shots are improved with cropping, especially if I shoot with the optical finder on my pocket camera. The optical finder doesn't show the full frame and I don't guess at the framing but just frame it in the optical finder. Even with my EVF camera I often don't crop quite as tightly as I should.

Between coupons I found in the photo magazines I subscribed to and ones they later mailed me, I could get my 35mm prints in 5 X 7 from Mystic Labs for the price of 4 X 6s. I liked them a lot better and so did everyone else. I have continued to print primarily 5 X 7 with digital. I put two on an 8.5 X 11 sheet. I use borderless printing and put them in the corners so I have to trim only two sides. Between refilling my ink and watching for paper sales at Red River they come out pretty cheap. You do need a paper trimmer if you want to do that though.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 12:45 PM   #6

slipe wrote:
Quote:
I think the best bet is to leave your camera on the standard 4:3 and make sure there is some space at the top and bottom – or on the short side if you hold the camera with the long side up.

If your camera is set to 3:2 you are just cropping in the camera and losing pixels. 3:2 is less appropriate for most standard print sizes, so you are doing a double crop to get a 5 X 7, 8 X 10, 11 X 14 etc. If you get a great photo and want to have a 16 X 20 made for your wall you get better quality starting with 4:3. Even for an 8.5 X 11 you could probably see the difference starting with 3:2 and doing the double crop with a 5Mp camera.

I wouldn't think of wasting ink and paper on a print without taking it through the image editor. So it is easy to crop to my print size while I am messing with other stuff. I find that many of my shots are improved with cropping, especially if I shoot with the optical finder on my pocket camera. The optical finder doesn't show the full frame and I don't guess at the framing but just frame it in the optical finder. Even with my EVF camera I often don't crop quite as tightly as I should.

Between coupons I found in the photo magazines I subscribed to and ones they later mailed me, I could get my 35mm prints in 5 X 7 from Mystic Labs for the price of 4 X 6s. I liked them a lot better and so did everyone else. I have continued to print primarily 5 X 7 with digital. I put two on an 8.5 X 11 sheet. I use borderless printing and put them in the corners so I have to trim only two sides. Between refilling my ink and watching for paper sales at Red River they come out pretty cheap. You do need a paper trimmer if you want to do that though.
Hiya slipe,

That's what I'll most likely do. Leave my camera shooting at 4:3 aspect ratio as I do not like the look of 4x6 size photos. Being as my camera (and most others) shoots at 4:3 if not set to 3:2. Looks more "natural" to me (this is what I meant Grant). I just wondered. And actually am still wondering....if you are shooting with the aspect ratio set to 3:2, and it's cropped in-camera and opt to print at 4x6...how true to the original image is the print? Do you still end up loosing parts of the pic you wanted to keep?

And if you crop at 5x7 and print on 5x7 paper...does the printed picture look exactly the same as the cropped image on the screen?
Old Dec 9, 2006, 1:16 PM   #7

If you shoot 3:2 in the camera and print 4 X 6 nothing should be trimmed from the photo. If you crop to 5 X 7 inches and your document size reads 5 X 7 it should print at exactly that size.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 3:19 PM   #8

slipe wrote:
Quote:
If you shoot 3:2 in the camera and print 4 X 6 nothing should be trimmed from the photo. If you crop to 5 X 7 inches and your document size reads 5 X 7 it should print at exactly that size.
Ok thanks pal. That's what I've been waiting to hear.