Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 11, 2006, 12:51 PM   #1

Are there any cameras that can be set to save real-time to a laptop hard drive? I want to be able to shot and and save without having to switch back and forth between shooting mode and transfer mode.
texasjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2006, 6:52 PM   #2

The Pentax istD (and maybe a few other Pentax models) can be used to do this with the Pentax Remote Assistant.

I know there are other camera brands that offer this kind of tethered relationship between the camera and computer, but I can't quote chapter and verse.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2006, 7:41 PM   #3

Most dSLR manufacturers offer a tethered shooting option. But why bother? You will have a cable trailing along after your camera. It will have a limited distance over which you can reliably shoot and then there is the always popular option of tripping on the cable, thereby damaging your camera, computer or both.

If you are shooting a lot, just buy some large memory cards and swap them out as needed. I use 3 x 4GB microdrives and 2 x 8GB compactflash cards. When I fill one up, I swap it out with a fresh card and just keep on shooting. I also initiate download on the full card, so it downloads while I continue to shoot.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2006, 8:27 AM   #4

Actually from what we have seen most cameras connect via a usb have to be set either connect with camera functionality disabled or in the shot mode. We will look into the Pentax.

The reason we need a realtime shooting is that we are developing an application for industrial usage and need to add information directly to the exif as the images are being shot.

Any other suggestions???
texasjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2006, 5:34 PM   #5

I have seen some Compactflash based wireless transmission cards. The CF in the camera transmitts the data to the reciever, usually attached to a computer, for storage. Sorry I do not remember the manufacturer, but I do remember they were quite expensive.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2006, 6:14 PM   #6

Somemajor dSLR cameras have available wireless units. For example, the Canon 30D can use the Canon Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E1a. That might be what you are looking for.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2006, 7:33 PM   #7

If you have a few thousand bucks just laying around the Hasselblad H2Dand H3D can be tethered directly to a laptop. Usually most of the time a tethered setup is used only in a studio situation where the camera does not have to move much.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2006, 8:35 PM   #8

Canon has EOS Capture for Canon's DSLR. You can control from and capture to your laptop or PC. I think there is a Canon SDK around somewhere if you are into writing your own apps.

Try the Canon download library for starters.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...wnloadIndexAct
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote