Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 14, 2006, 6:44 AM   #1

Hello, first time poster here

I recently bought a Canon Powershot A430, and it seems great, but I

can't download PowerLoad, as it's link at:

http://blueaceimage.tripod.com/index.html

won't allow downloads. I've e-mailed the author, but have received no

reply, so can anyone tell me where I can download PowerLoad from?

Thanks for any answers.

P.S Nice variety of Emoticons on the forum!
Kerr Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2006, 7:45 AM   #2
Administrator

From the looks of the 2001 Copyright notice at the bottom of the page, it's probably a 5 year old product that never got past the 1.0 Beta Version.

I've never heard of it before. But, from looking through the description, it appears to be a way to let you copy files from your camera.

My suggestion... If you don't want to use the Zoom Browser software Canon included with your camera for that purpose, buy a card reader. ;-)

You can pick up a USB 2.0 Card Reader for around $10 now. You'll find them at most major office supply and electronics stores (Best Buy, Circuit City, Office Depot, Staples, etc.). A card reader will let your memory card show up under "My Computer" as a removable drive. So, you can open the folders on the card and copy images to wherever you want to on your PC (just like you can with any other disk drive).

Your camera uses Secure Digital cards. So, make sure you buy one that supports that format. Multi-Card readers are popular, since you can buy them with the ability to read a variety of cards. I personally prefer one that resides on the desktop (versus the tiny readers that plug directly into a USB Port.

Here are a list of USB 2.0 readers at newegg.com, sorted by price. You can buy a USB 2.0 Multi-Card reader that supports Secure Digital for under $10

USB Card Readers at Newegg.com

Sorry, I don't know where you can download the software you're looking at. Perhaps someone else will know.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 1:31 PM   #3

I've done as you suggested, and ordered a card reader. I could have used the included software, but it seemed pretty temporamental to me, or maybe it was just my PC. Incidentally, I already have a card reader, that reads four (or five, I think one slot doubles for two cards) formats of card, but not SD cards. How many formats of card are there? You'd think they'd be standardized by now.

Thanks for the advice.
Kerr Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 1:54 PM   #4
Administrator

It's pretty tough keeping up with all of the formats anymore.

Also, even within a given card category, you tend to have subcategories (for example, some readers are not going to work with newer SDHC Secure Digital Cards over 2GB in size, even though their size matches up to standard Secure Digital Cards). You'll find multiple types of Sony Memory Sticks and Xd PictureCard, too. There are a number of media types that an older reader is not going to work with, even if the physical size looks the same.

Steve has a page discussing some of the commonly used formats here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/flash_memory.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote