Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 19, 2006, 7:19 PM   #11

wrams wrote:
Quote:
Oh don't you worry there will be a new lens init for me!! Oh and if the pictures are outstanding then im also on a Promise!!
You'll need the 16mm in order to shoot your pics of the "Promise" for us ;-P
Old Dec 20, 2006, 8:52 AM   #12

Kalypso wrote:
Quote:
wrams wrote:
Quote:
I've recently been asked by the "Wife" to take some portrait Pics of the Kids..!!

Remember She's Paying for a New Lens!!!
Well, in that case I'd tell her I need a Canon EF 16-35 f/2.8L USM
I'd recomend a bit longer lens, something like the Canon Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM. A long focal length avoids the "big nose" effect of a short lens (see below), but folks produce good results with all kinds of lenses. Try the stuff you have, do some reading, and think a lot about how you are going to print and frame the portraits.
How you are going to frame the portraits, and the choice of mat color will have a big effect on your choice of background.
Attached Images

BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 9:08 AM   #13

And don't forget these two things:
1) Take many pictures, experiment!
2) Make it fun for the kids. You want them to be happy when you say "Kids, time to take more pictures!"

The advice above is quite good. Do look into borrowing the lights.... but also get advice on how to set them up (and use them.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 9:34 AM   #14

Thanks for the Advice all!!

How would you set them up??? Or does it change in different rooms, light, etc etc..??
wrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 11:24 PM   #15

peripatetic- Those pics of your daughter are adorable. She's a cutie. I think I may have to look into a 28 mm lens. :-)

afayec
afayec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2006, 2:49 AM   #16
Super Moderator

Thanks, it all comes down to the angle of view you are looking for.

Portraits are an interesting topic. For studio or some location work any old kit lens is fine. Set to f8, control your background and the rest is up to the lighting.

However there is also the other side of portrait, available light/candid/snapshot whatever you want to call it.

For that you need a fast prime. But the focal length is still up to personal preference. Short telephoto is the most commonly used, and who can argue that it's nice to have one available; but I like portraits where you can see the context of the subject, and for that a normal or moderately wide angle is best.

My personal favourite is 40mm (or equivalent). That means I would rather have a 35mm than a 50mm (or equivalent).

On my Canon the 28=> 45, 24 would be better. But I shall probably be getting a 5D next year so will hold out for the 35mm f1.4. If I decide to stay with the crop format then I think it will be time to get the 24 f1.4.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2006, 2:11 PM   #17

I have taken some Portrait pictures that i am not happy with as i didn't haver the right light set-up and i'm new to photography and CS2 so i can't seem to get them right in Photoshop i just keep messing them up and there bad enough as it is!! Can anyone help as to making them look better...????

Please get back to me ASAP Someone!!

Thanks
Old Dec 22, 2006, 2:24 PM   #18

The only way we're going to be able to help you is if you post an example and describe what you did. both in terms of camera settings and the physical setup.

We're a knowledgeable bunch, but the nature of forums is that you ask public questions and we give public answers. That way others learn too.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2006, 3:04 PM   #19

I'd strongly suggest doing some testing and practicing with something like flower pots, footballs, manikins, large dolls, ... instead of making the children sit through all of the things that are worth trying.

What mix of front, side and back lighting? Flash, natural, and/or incandecent lighting? Shallow depth of field? What focal length? What combination of all of the above?
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2006, 3:39 PM   #20

Here are the 3 best pictures and to be honest i don't like them atall....Pictures not my Family...Well!!!!

I used my 17-70 on f8 at ISO 100 and only had lights that where designed for a softbox plus my flash EX480 but no-matter where i placed the lights i got shadows and i just can't seem to get the hang of Portrait Photography....Please Help and make em look better!!!

Thanks

Andrew
Attached Images