Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 22, 2006, 1:12 PM   #11

Im blown away by yalls patience. I am going to see what I turn out today.

I was a brat yesterday, appreciate ya'll understanding my frustration.

What I KNOW:

Light and tripod is my best friend. :blah:

Yall gonna be sooo proud of me one day :!:
Mikaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2006, 7:23 PM   #12

Hey, Mikaela! A cheap way to add light to your bird shooting area is to get a few of those clamp-on utility light fixtures with the aluminum bowl reflector. You can choose your own bulb. You can then clamp these lights onto tables, chair backs or anywhere else that supplies a suitable support. When you're done shooting the birds, store the lights in the garage.

This may work well for you if the area you have to light isn't huge. Many people use a set up like this to start their first portrait studio.

You can use the camera's flash along with the lights, but then there will be some problems getting a proper white balance as you would be mixing light sources with different color temperatures.

You have a great camera, you just have to feed it the proper diet to fatten-up the quality of your pix! And post a few when you start getting the results you want!

If, for whatever reason, you find yourself shopping for a sledge hammer at Home Depot instead of light fixtures, just send me the camera -- I'll even pop for the postage! :-)

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2006, 6:30 AM   #13

Dude! I have a few of those I clip on my work bench for direct light when working on my R/C car or helicopter.

Yay!

*Clips utility lights all over everything, opps... ok, not the baby*
Old Dec 23, 2006, 7:33 AM   #14

I did another shoot. UP'ed the light and used ISO 80-1600, for play. Used flash with some, not with others.

Im so obsessed with this, its 5 am and Im shooting a bird. One I cant even eat. :roll:

See anything done right? I was paying NO attention to subject this time... just lighting and blur (when it occured).

Welp, here goes another try!

http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o...kee/?start=all

Attached Images

Old Dec 23, 2006, 7:42 AM   #15

Mikaela wrote
Quote:
Im so obsessed with this, its 5 am and Im shooting a bird. One I cant even eat. :roll:
:lol:

Dang! Let Baby get some rest already!

MichelleBuerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2006, 7:52 AM   #16

I know lol

He is like MAMA GAWD! Hes a good sport though.

Ok, this is a god-awful pic because it was hand-held just to give yall an idea of the space I work in.

All of the kitchen is flor. box lighting, the rest normal lighting.

Total area is 58ft x 46ft.

Where should I focus adding more light? Everywhere... period?

Old Dec 23, 2006, 7:34 PM   #17

I can tell you added more light to the first picture. Can you tell it's better as far as noise?

"Where should I focus adding more light?"

The subject Mikaela, the subject.

Old Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2006, 12:18 AM   #18

I know that hun lol

Im challenged, not stupid hehe.

I mean should the light come from behind the camera? From the side? Above the subject. Or it doesnt matter?

Yall are awesome! :G

I was looking through the last shoot and just noticed a shot of my dumbself adjusting the camera, lord have mercy! :?

Old Dec 24, 2006, 1:38 AM   #19

Mikaela writes: ...should the light come from behind the camera? From the side? Above the subject. Or it doesnt matter?

Have a look at the "Studio Lighting, Flash & Other" section of these forums -- 'cause that's what you're getting into, now.

What you want to shoot for, here, is to have a "key" light that acts as your main source; at least one "fill" light that's used to soften the shadows caused by the key light; and maybe a "background" light that lights, well....the background. If you're feeling frisky, you may want to add a "highlight" light. This usually shines on the subject from somewhere behind to produce highlights on -- in this case -- the feathers.

You will have a harder time setting something like this up for your birds than if you were shooting people due to having to cover a larger area and general lack of control over subject placement. But, you seem pretty well motivated.

If you don't want to investigate three-point lighting techniques, just look at the arrangement that you have now and look for areas of unsightly shadow. Then adjust your lights to minimize thick, prominent shadows. If you use the on-camera flash, this may well overwhelm any other lighting and give you some prominent shadows anyway.

You don't want to eliminate shadows altogether. Shadows help lend that critical third dimension to a two dimensional picture. But you do want a good balance that suggests 3-D but still retains details of the subject in the shadow areas.

If you get this down at all well, I bet you could refine your set-up enough to make it easily portable and you may well be able to make a little extra money shooting other people's birds in their own houses!

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2006, 6:30 PM   #20

I wont be taking anymore pictures yall.

I went to walmart to grab last minute things, gone about an hour. Came home to my house cleaned out.

Everything I have worked my whole life for is gone. The only reason I can talk to you now is because I happened to have one of the laptops in the car.

Im trying very hard to suck this up as rage runs through me. Only 'thing's. I am still me. Those 'things' didnt make up who I am.

Im sad, so sad for my 4 boys. All of the presents were taken and everything is closed. Even if it wasnt, I dont have any more money anyway, truth be told.

They even touched my underwear, went through everything.