Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 15, 2002, 7:50 PM   #1

Default Canon A40 or Nikon 2500 ?

Both Canon and Nikon seem like really good brands. I've heard nothing but praises about their digicams and I was just wondering if their lower end models were as equally noteworthy? If so, which one would be a better buy?

A friend recommended Olympus' D-510. Does anyone know anything about this camera?

(I'm 17, willing to spend 350 for a camera, and I'm mostly just going to be taking pictures of people. Once in a while I'll use it when I go on vacation..so versatility would be good.)

I would appreciate any comments. THANKS
alwayzaskeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2002, 11:18 AM   #2

Lots of us steer clear of cameras with proprietary Li-Ion batteries such as Nikon. Compared to NiMH you'll pay two or three times as much for half the capacity. NiMH AAs are so widely available they are becoming a commodity item. I prefer Nikon film cameras but the batteries are the reason I don't own a consumer level NIkon digicam.

That said I think the A40 is worth a look with one caveat. There is a widely known problem with focus at the next to longest focal length. Canon has just issued a firmware update that improves focus but I can't say for certain if that fixes it. Worth checking into. I own a Canon A10, a 1.3mp predecessor to the A40 and I find it to be an excellent camera. I get extremely high quality photos and remarkable flexibility for a automatic camera. The A40 adds more pixels, features and manual control.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2002, 8:51 PM   #3

You didn't mention if large prints were a priority for you, or if you're just going to store photos on C.D., etc. If that's the case, go to your local Ritz Camera, which still has the Canon A10 in some locations for a clearance price of $199 (or lower).

It's a 1.3 megapixel, but will still give you good 4x6 prints and great screen images, and at that price, you can put the rest of your budget into buying some NiMh batteries and a charger, and a much larger memory card.

Greg

--------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally posted by alwayzaskeptic
Both Canon and Nikon seem like really good brands. I've heard nothing but praises about their digicams and I was just wondering if their lower end models were as equally noteworthy? If so, which one would be a better buy?

A friend recommended Olympus' D-510. Does anyone know anything about this camera?

(I'm 17, willing to spend 350 for a camera, and I'm mostly just going to be taking pictures of people. Once in a while I'll use it when I go on vacation..so versatility would be good.)

I would appreciate any comments. THANKS
atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2002, 12:05 AM   #4

The A40 has more advanced features such as audio recording, can be directly connected to a TV for viewing pictures or slide shows and a very slow shutter speed (15 sec.) for night shots. I think it is better than Nikon.
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2002, 1:29 AM   #5

Default thanks...

Thanks for replyin' guys. I'm pretty sure I'm getting the A40 because I'd to print big pictures once in a while. And I love the way it looks too.

Thanks Again!
Je t'aime
alwayzaskeptic is offline   Reply With Quote