Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 2, 2007, 8:48 AM   #11

Since he did NOT say zoom, then the telephoto DOES have just one focal length. It is NOT necessary to say prime.
Get a life JohnG.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2007, 3:12 AM   #12
Super Moderator

amazingthailand wrote:
Quote:
Since he did NOT say zoom, then the telephoto DOES have just one focal length. It is NOT necessary to say prime.
Get a life JohnG.

If you read the original context it's clear he was talking nonsense.

Lenses can be zoom or prime, it is not always and everywhere assumed that when one omits the qualifying adjective that one is always talking about a prime.

Any search of these forums would make that abundantly clear, as does the dictionary definition.

Quote:
telephoto lens

–noun Photography.

a lens constructed so as to produce a relatively large image with a focal length shorter than that required by an ordinary lens producing an image of the same size: used to photograph small or distant objects.

It is certainly possible to have telephoto zoom lenses.

Consider this description from the Sigma website for example:

Quote:

[align=justify]Telephoto Zoom Lens
100-300mm f/4 EX DG IF HSM
[/align]

[align=justify]The ideal telephoto zoom lens for Digital SLR cameras

This telephoto zoom lens provides a large F4 aperture at all focal lengths. With minimal light-fall-off, superior peripheral brightness is ensured. It's the ideal lens for digital SLR cameras.
[/align]

This is in direct contrast to Hun's statement above:

Quote:
A telephoto lens only has a single focal length.
So it's fairly simple - Hun is mistaken about how the terms are used, and he seems to have recruited you on board.

People make mistakes all the time, I am frequently corrected on these forums (sometimes by Johng), I learn from the correction and move on. I suggest you do likewise.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2007, 7:41 AM   #13

amazingthailand wrote:
Quote:
Get a life JohnG.
Peripatetic wrote:

Quote:
So it's fairly simple - Hun is mistaken about how the terms are used, and he seems to have recruited you on board.

People make mistakes all the time, I am frequently corrected on these forums (sometimes by Johng), I learn from the correction and move on. I suggest you do likewise.
As periptatetic said, we all make mistakes. I was corrected on another thread yesterday. I had 2 choices - I could whine about it, or learn from it. I chose to learn from it. The statements The Hun wrote appeared misleading IMO, so I made a comment. Because he decided to get defensive about it I chose to yank his chain a bit. I sincerely apologize if that offended him or you.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 2:23 PM   #14

WOW!! I leave this thread and return to find that my thread has turned into a 3 Stooges show. Can't we all get along?

Any how, now that we got that settled. I have another lens question for you all. Let's say I were to pickup a 70-200mm f/2.8 zoom. It obviously covers focal lengths between 70 and 200 mm. In that case should I not bother with a 85mm f/1.8 prime for portraits? Would this 85mm prime have a different angle of view or perspective than the 70-200mm lens at 85mm?

Thanks.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 2:32 PM   #15

Thefield of view should be the same at 85mm on both lenses. But the 85mm 1.8 allows you a shallower depth of field because of the 1.8 aperture. To get the same DOF with the 70-200 you need to use more zoom and thus be further away from your subject (and depending on your surroundings, creating that distance may be easy or it may be impossible).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 2:52 PM   #16

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Thefield of view should be the same at 85mm on both lenses. But the 85mm 1.8 allows you a shallower depth of field because of the 1.8 aperture. To get the same DOF with the 70-200 you need to use more zoom and thus be further away from your subject (and depending on your surroundings, creating that distance may be easy or it may be impossible).
Ok thanks John! So the question becomes how picky one is about the quality of the bokeh. And also if you would rather carry around a smaller lens...when doing portraits. Though some would say carrying around a 70-200mm is more flexible for a variety of shooting situations.

On to other things...Cya!
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote