Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 30, 2006, 10:02 PM   #1

Hello All,

I've decided to purchase a Pentax K10D in the near future after a month of reviewing different dslr cameras. It's my first DSLR camera so I can sure use some help in choosing a few lenses. Of course, I'll have the lens that comes with the camera ( 18-55mm ), but will be looking for lenses for Portraits, Landscape, bird photographing, and long distance photography of various animals. I heard that there are many inexpensive lenses available for the Pentax K10D, so where do I start ---- Hmmmmmm, that's where you folks come in. Thanks a bunch and I wish you all a very Happy and Healthy New Year. JayD
Jay D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2006, 10:25 AM   #2

When people say cheap enexpensive lens for the Pentax system they usually refer to the prime manual focus lens. Pentax are known to have the BEST PRIME lens and their "Pancake" lens are highly praise for their size and picture quality. If you don't mind having manual focus there are many cheap(price) but high quality used lens that you can buy.

I'll start off with the famous 50mm prime lens from Pentax. There are two manual focus type the SMC-M which is completly manual with focus, zoom and you have to set the aperture yourself. The other manual lens is the SMC-A which is the same as the SMC-M but you can set your camera to aperture prioity(Av) on the camera and control the aperture on the camera. On the manual 50mm prime lens there are two very popular speed you can pick from, the f/1.4 and f/1.7. You can get the for under $50 on ebay but price are going up. They also have the 50mm f/1.2 which is very expensive and the 50mm f/2.0 which I don't hear many people talk about.

If you hurry, you can get the FA 50mm f/1.4 autofocus lens for about $220 and a $50 mail in rebate if you can find that lens in stock. I love this lens because it is very light, small, sharp and fast. This is a really great lens if you plan to use it for Portraits. There are other prime lens that you can buy right now that would be great for portraits right now and take advantage of the rebates.

For landscape you can use your stock 18-55mm if you don't really need anything wider. The stock lens is pretty good for being a kit lens. The only drawback is that it is not as fast but when doing landscape speed is not that important. If you want to upgrade to a wider lens you can get the Pentax 12-24mm lens for about $620 after the rebate. That is kinda pricy if you ask me. Another alternative to a wide angle lens for Pentax is the Sigma 10-20mm EX DC. On sigma the EX means it is their top quality lens and you can get it for about $500. Still not cheap but a lot lower than the Pentax one. I just received this lens in the mail a few days ago and it is a very fun lens to play with. I havn't really taken it out yet but the test shots that I took at home look very sharp.

For bird photography you need a long telephoto lens. This is where Pentax get hurts the most. Pentax lacks long telephoto lens longer than 300mm. They DO have some really nice high end prime telephoto lens but they cost an arm and a leg. So the next thing that you have to do is to turn to 3rd party like Sigma. Sigma have many different telephoto lens for our mount so you can pick and choose which ever one that fits your bill. I do not have any experiance with the Sigma telephoto lens so I can't give you feedbacks on them. For a telephoto lens I am using my Sigma 28-200mm lens that I bought from ebay for $70 last year which does a pretty good job so far. I would like to upgrade to the Sigma 50-500mm but I am broke right now.

Whatever lens you decide to buy be sure to post up some pictures. There are other lens that you can pick from just search ebay and other place that sell used lens like keh.com. The lens that I recommoned are the lens that I have myself and personally loved. Also be sure to check out the Pentax DSLR area if you haven't and if this post don't get moved there.

superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 2:01 PM   #3

Superakuma,

Thank you very much for your reply to my question. I haven't purchased the camera yet, but will surly be looking for some good lenses. The other thing I'd like to do, since I'm a newbie at all this, is to get a video on the operation of the Pentax K10D. I know there is a company called Elitevideo who sells them. From what I understand about the K10D is that I may have to practice quite a bit to get it right :-) Especially coming off a point and shoot, which I don't mind, as long as I get quality photos, which I do expect from this camera. From what I've read, they say this camera is pretty comparable to the Nikon D200, but less costly. Did you say you have the K10D and if so, Do you love it and would you buy it again. I posted this question on another site and most say they would do it again if they had to. Thanks again for all the great info.

Jay D

Old Jan 2, 2007, 6:54 PM   #4

I appreciate your help with the lenses. I have another question on the Pentax K10D. How is the focus on the camera? If I were to take shots of a flying bird, is the automatic focus fast enough to give me a decent photo? I've held off on ordering the camera until I can get some of these important questions answered. A friend who owns the Nikon D80 & Nikon D200 feels that I should consider the Nikon for it's advantage in fast focusing, but I sure like the dust, stabilization and weather and dust seals in the Pentax. What do you or anyone reading this think? Thanks again. Jay D :|
Old Jan 2, 2007, 9:29 PM   #5

No I do not have the K10D, I HAD the Pentax DS and now I upgraded it to the K100D. I have not experiance any problem with the AF being to slow for me when I take pictures of bird outside. Really I don't have any problem with either of my Pentax with AF unless it is in very low light. Unless if you are taking pictures of birds flying at night, I don't think you will have any problem with the AF system on the Pentax if you use good or decent lens. When I say good or decent, I don't mean those cheap 500mm mirror lens that you see on ebay for $100.

The K10D "should" be faster than my K100D because it does not use the AA battery type and it "should" allow for a better faster AF.

Also I "heard" that Nikon were generally faster than Pentax when it comes to AF. When I played with my friend's D50 with stock lens, I didn't really feel any difference in speed compaired to my DS with stock lens when I had it. Even if it was faster, from what other said, I wasn't able to feel or see the difference between the two in speed.

You might want to ask the mods or admin to move this question over to the Pentax/Samsung DSLR sub-forum, you will get more response there. If they don't just ask the question over there and link this post to it.

superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 9:57 PM   #6

If you are interested in bird photos taken with the K10 and the K100, go over to the Pentax/Samsung SLR part of this board and take a look at some of the recent photos posted - lots of us are either birders or becoming birders.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 10:19 PM   #7

Thanks a bunch for your help. This site and all of you have been very helpful. :|
Old Jan 2, 2007, 10:20 PM   #8

mtngal,

I'm on my way to take a look. Thanks again. Jay D