Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 10, 2007, 10:14 PM   #21

thanks ,

to tell the truth - the camera does it for me.

I use bounced flash with FEC (flash exposure compensation) set to +1.
as for the rest of the settings - the camera takes care of them. it is all autofocus, autoexposure. Nothing manual.
for me - a DSLR camera is the best point and shoot camera you can find.
I don't have the best lens out there , though it is an alright lens. The sharpness comes from the lens. I also set my camera to do the increased incamera sharpening, increased (maximum) incamera saturation and I also preset the camera to make the images warmer. I did it once at the very begining and never change the settings. The pictures look better that way

I never do RAW - I can not be bothered. Only jpeg. Yeah - if you increase sharpness in camera and you make your images warmer in camera and you saturate incamera ... you may loose some detail in some pixels .... but who cares I am not printing the wall sized photographs. I take pictures and I like the results.

I don't know why others say DSLRs are hard to use.... I just turn it on, point and press the shutter. 90% of the times that's all I have to do. If the images are too dark, I may increase ISO or increase aperture. All I watch for is the shutter speed. I never want it to be less then 1/60. Below that - I can not hold the camera steady enough to make the pictures sharp. With flash indoors - it's not an issue.
O.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2007, 4:09 PM   #22

Thanks for your response. Still can't get over how nice your pics are!

Is the bounce flash the one attached to camera or a separate one you've put on (you can tell I'm a newbie.) thks

minty70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2007, 10:10 PM   #23

thanks again .... and thanks to my camera for letting me take the shots I take.

as for the flash ...

bouncing a flash means not directing it at the subject you shoot but at something else that would reflect/diffuse light.

I found on the net a picture of what an external flash on a camera looks like when you bounce it. only I direct it straight up at the ceiling. Or sometimes behind me. The result is the light gets dispersed and everything gets evenly lighted. Almost no shadows anywhere.

here is the link to the flash I use. It is not the best out there but I got it very cheap. $170 when it was selling at a discount price. It is compatible with Canon but you can get it for other cameras too.
http://www.promaster.com/products/pr...product=7500DX

So when indoors in smaller rooms, like for instance any room in my house, I always direct the flash up to the ceiling. so I never get harsh direct lighting, no red eyes and no harsh shadows. In larger rooms, like a large auditorium where my daughter is taking part in a play (like here: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=112386&forum_id=87&jump_ to=672395#p672395)
or when my daughter competing in dancing in a large dark room I point the flash directly ahead. so it blasts the light directly at the subject I shoot. You get red eyes, harsh shadows and other good stuff that comes with it ... but you still able to get the shots you would not otherwise.

so once again what I have is:
camera: Canon 300d
lens: Sigma 24-70mm 2.8 EX
external flash: Promaster 7500dx

I consider this a budget beginners DSLR set that would allow one to take pictures in low light, as I do most of the time, and get decent results. Depending on what you shoot most, you can get different lens for instance that would alow you to have more zoom then mine and yet still be cheaper then what I had to pay.

anyone can get pictures I get, it is very simple because the camera does it for you. You get decent results out of the box and you get better results if you try to learn a thing or two and practice.
O.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 9:43 AM   #24

Thanks again for your detailed response. You've inspired me to learn more about DSLRs. I just can't find the quality I'm looking for with compacts, and If I can use some auto functions, I might be able to hack it with something with more options like the dslrs. best, jenny
minty70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 2:46 PM   #25

flippedgazelle, great shots, I just got my S6000fd about a week ago and have shot over 300 pictures. I read the book, try that mode for a while then continue on to the next one. I am currently using the natural light setting with the flash follow-up. I think this is my favorite so far. The photos have been about half and half with which shot I like best; flash or no flash. Sorry no examples to post yet, but I love this camera, especially coming from a Pentax K-1000.
ktrjc is offline   Reply With Quote