Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 1, 2007, 12:07 PM   #1

On this and other forums, I see many folks inquiring about cameras suitable for shooting children indoors. Obviously, a DSLR is the way to go. However, many folks, due to time/price/size/involvement/etc constraints, choose not to go the DSLR path. So we need to find more suitable alternatives.

I'm posting 5 pics I took last night at a friend's home. Each shot features Matthew, an energetic 2.7 year-old. The camera I used is a Fuji S6000fd, which I have owned for one week. I am not in any way an accomplished photographer, obviously, and am still learning my camera.

The photos were taken in "P" mode, and were taken quickly, with no thought nor time for composition. I did not do a particularly wonderful job - if I could go back and change some camera settings, I would - but I do feel these following photos are representative of how many people would quickly use a camera in this situation. Other than resizing the pics, no editing was performed. The only deviations from the camera's default settings is the change of in-camera sharpening from "normal" to "soft" and the EV set at -2/3, which (to me) yielded the most accurate light-levels.

I snapped about 70 total pictures that night, and most came out usable; that is, the subject was in enough focus to clearly make out facial details and expressions.

One: Unhappy Matthew being fed by one of his Aunts. ISO 800, Flash, Zoom 66mm, Shutter 1/60
Attached Images

flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2007, 12:10 PM   #2

Two: Matthew the Mad Hatter, in a less brightly lit area. ISO 400, Flash, No Zoom, Shutter 1/15.
Attached Images

Old Jan 1, 2007, 12:14 PM   #3

Three: Matthew caught throwing a soccer ball cut-out. ISO 400, Flash, Zoom 36mm, Shutter 1/45.
Attached Images

Old Jan 1, 2007, 12:16 PM   #4

Four: Matthew a split second after releasing the soccer-thingie. ISO 400, Flash, Zoom 36mm, Shutter 1/60.
Attached Images

Old Jan 1, 2007, 12:23 PM   #5

Five: Matthew playing with some sort of plant, I guess. Not the fingers on his left hand moving. ISO 800, No Flash, Zoom 89mm, Shutter 1/90.
Attached Images

Old Jan 1, 2007, 2:44 PM   #6

flippedgazelle - thanks for posting these. I love the last one - it has some art gallery quality to it, lighting, composition colors ... a great shot - shows you that a good photographer can take a great shot no matter what camera is used.

O.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 2:47 PM   #7

just to give a fair comparison between what you get for your dollars with Canon 300d vs. Fuji S6000fd. There is a difference - how much difference? - everyone can make their own judgement.

I only posted the shots taken indoors. Most of these are taken at shutter 60 or 200, various ISO settings and a Promaster 7500dx flash bounced off the ceiling. THe pictures are as they came out of the camera and resized to 800x640.

O.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 2:48 PM   #8

If you're wanting less blur of the subject, see if you can set the EV back to normal or even to positive, then speed up your shutter. Most of them are pretty sharp.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 3:06 PM   #9

Hey O.S., glad you were able to post photos in a similar vein from a higher-end/more expensive setup. I believe we're doing a good service for people who are on the fence between getting a good superzoom and making the leap to the world of DSLR.

Does the lighting in your photos accurately represent the actual lighting conditions in the room?

And since you posted cute cat pics, here's one of mine, caught in mid-hiss, as well as another of Matthew with a hat falling off his head:
Attached Images

Old Jan 1, 2007, 3:11 PM   #10

Lost my hat!
Attached Images