Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 8, 2007, 12:11 PM   #1

How do you read the Histogram.??

Also you can have it in Brightness or RGB Red,Green,Blue the 3 Primary colours...I understand that, but how do i read it to gain knowledge from it when checking shots..??

In the Histogram display do i try and level out the RGB equally..??

I'm :?
wrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2007, 12:42 PM   #2

Understanding Histograms at Luminous Landscape has a good explanation.

Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2007, 12:48 PM   #3

Thanks Bob gonna take a look now..!!!
Old Jan 8, 2007, 1:13 PM   #4

This is a pretty good explanation: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...stograms.shtml

I have had two cameras with EVFs and have always kept the histogram in view. And I try to always consult it – if only to keep the relationship between the scene and histogram active in my mind. I don't find that I use histograms much if I have only a LCD to consult.

My use is probably more simplistic than most people's. My main concern is for bunching on the right side of the display. You are going to get blown highlights if the histogram is bunched on the right, and blown highlights can't be recovered. Generally speaking if the EVF looks OK you are close to the exposure and the main concern is not blowing highlights. There are cameras that show possible blown highlights in the display, but I have unfortunately never owned one.

I grabbed an example from the tutorial of a histogram that is going to blow highlights. In this case you would probably want to back off until the curve looks a little like my red overlay. I think the most common way to shift the histogram in non-DSLR cameras is with an EV shift. With most cameras you have buttons that are always active to shift the EV and quickly adjust the histogram.

There is sometimes something pure white in a scene and you will expect bunching on the right. Unless you need detail in the white roof or whatever you will achieve your best dynamic range and shadow detail by letting that pure white area bunch a little. You want the subject of the photo to make the curve without blowing highlights. And that requires translating what you are seeing in the histogram as it applies to what you are shooting.

The only camera I have with the separate color channels in the histogram is on a small viewfinder camera with only a LCD for the histogram display. On the occasions I use the histogram on that camera I just use the main luminance display and ignore the color channels, which I can't usually see very well anyway in the Florida sun.

Attached Images

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2007, 1:18 PM   #5

Thanks Slipe, Bob just gave that link to me also..Thanks anyway..!!
Old Jan 8, 2007, 1:43 PM   #6

wrams wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Slipe, Bob just gave that link to me also..Thanks anyway..!!
Next time I won't waste my time trying to write an explanation. If I just post a link I'll probably notice someone else has posted it in the meantime. Sorry for wasting your time - it wasn't clear from you post you just wanted people to post links.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2007, 2:01 PM   #7

I wasn't being ungrateful...Sorry if you got that impression...I read your post and it was very helpful...Thankyou

I was just saying that i already saw that link....Thankyou very much for your info

Much appreciated....

P.S I did want your Professionalism and thanks for taking the time to write all that you had writen..!!!

Old Jan 11, 2007, 5:38 PM   #8

I would also like to thank Bob for the link to this helpful info.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote