Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 8, 2007, 6:49 PM   #1

I have a Olympus e-500. I like to buy a polorizing filter for it, but was told that I couldn't use the auto focus with this filter. Is this true?
Gasjuggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2007, 12:04 AM   #2

That is not true to the best of my knowledge. Some cameras with semi-transparent mirrors require circular polarizers rather than linear. As far as I know all cameras will work with a circular polarizer.

Linear polarizers are cheaper and work fine with most cameras. But the comment I would guess you heard is that linear polarizers don't work with your camera and you must use a circular.

Your best bet is to buy a circular polarizer. I'm still using the one I bought for a Minolta film SLR thirty years ago. It might be worth the price of a step-up adapter to be able to buy a larger polarizer that you can transfer in the future to more cameras. They can be too small for your next camera or lens but never too large.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2007, 8:50 AM   #3

Thanks slipe I did some photography back in the 60's & 70's and Iam just getting back into it after retiring from my job. I never used an auto focus before and wasn't sure. Your answer helps greatly.

Gasjuggler
Old Jan 9, 2007, 8:52 AM   #4

If you have (or can borrow) a pair of polarizing sun glasses, put one sunglass lens in front of your camera lens and see if it focuses. Try at various angles. Likely will not produce great images (flare, softness, ...), but that isn't what you are trying to do.

You might also find that the exposure is off with the polarizer.

If either of those cases occur you will need a circular polarizer: otherwise you are likely to get away with a cheaper linear polarizer.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2007, 1:37 PM   #5
rey

If you're buying CPL filters, be sure to check out Adorama's Amazon store. I recently bought a basic Hoya PLC filter from them (72mm for my Nikon 18-200VR) for $30. That same filter normally cost $65 on their regular site and on B&H. (I'm not affiliated with them.)

Good Luck.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2007, 2:11 PM   #6

Thanks rey I'am going to look at sight now.

Gasjuggler