Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 11, 2007, 3:51 PM   #11
jmc

Rey:

Thanks for a great post. I'll keep all this in mind, and give RAW another try. I hope it's a good bit faster on a DSLR; I tried it with the 8700 and it was like 10 SECONDS between pictures!

I haven't loaded the Canon software yet, planning on doing it this afternoon. Hopefully the Canon software has better sharpening than my usual app - ThumbsPlus has been perfectly fine for all my pics up till now (with some PE as needed), but I suspect I'm gonna need more raw power (pun intended) if I'm going to do that much post-processing (if I even have the time).

Again, thanks. Great information!

jmc
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 3:16 AM   #12
Super Moderator

You are experiencing what most people do when they move from a P&S to a DSLR.

Your pictures look wrong, and are worse than with the P&S. If you stick with it, assume that the camera is fine and that you simply need to learn how to use a far more complex tool, then you will soon be producing far better images than you did before.

Do yourself a favour and get some decent image processing software; Photoshop Elements is really quite powerfuland it is very reasonably priced.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 4:41 AM   #13
jmc

You are right! I just tried a few images in RAW, and everything looks as it should. I just have to learn about processing RAW images, and because the Canon software works differently than the Nikon stuff, have to develop a whole new workflow.

Thanks to everyone for their advice! It's all been very helpful, and a good learning experience.

Anyway, here's the silly picture I took proving that there was a problem between the eyepiece and the chair It's simply a RAW image, unprocessed, converted to jpg, cropped and of course shrunk. Good color, good detail, good to go!
Attached Images

jmc is offline   Reply With Quote