Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 11, 2007, 2:44 PM   #11
Administrator

Tamron will have an 18-250mm coming out, too. See this September 2006 Press Release:

http://www.tamron.com/news/35mm/18250di2.asp

I don't know when it will hit store shelves.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2007, 8:41 PM   #12
JMJ

rey wrote:
Quote:
JMJ wrote:
Quote:
A guy in a store recommended one to me (Tamron 18-200 mm AF F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II)as a good overall lense
I think the most popular starter lens for Canon shooters is the Canon 17-85 IS USM, but honestly, I would probably go with this Tamron 18-200 or its Sigma counter part. Sigma also is planning to release an 18-200 with their version of IS.

I like the specs on that Canon 17-85 lense......so many good choices, so little money :G
JMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 1:50 AM   #13

The way I understand it is that because DSLRs have a smaller sensor compared to film SLRs, the digital lenses don't need as much glass to fill the sensor. If you use a film lens in a digital SLR, a portion of the image taken in by the lens will be cropped since the sensor isn't large enough to capture the entire image. The smaller glass in DSLR lenses means that the lens will usually be lighter than a 35mm equivalent lens. However, this also means that you can't effectively use a DSLR lens in a film SLR (you'll end up with a circular black border around your image due to the lack of glass to fill that area).

I hope I explained that properly.
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 10:46 AM   #14

I'll add one more point.

Because the smaller sensor is "cropping" a piece out of the image that would taken with a larger sensor, then to get the same image, using a smaller section of glass, you actually need more resolution from the lens.

So some lenses which are sharp on film might be a bit less sharp on digital. And while some newer designed lense might be sharper than older ones, they also might need to be.

But many higher qualtiy older lenses, especially good primes, are still very sharp on digital.

Also, while those 18-200 type lenses are very popular, most of them tend to not be very sharp unless stopped down to about f8. Whether that's worth the convenience is up to you.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 8:39 AM   #15
JMJ

kenbalbari wrote:
Quote:
I'll add one more point.

Because the smaller sensor is "cropping" a piece out of the image that would taken with a larger sensor, then to get the same image, using a smaller section of glass, you actually need more resolution from the lens.

So some lenses which are sharp on film might be a bit less sharp on digital. And while some newer designed lense might be sharper than older ones, they also might need to be.

But many higher qualtiy older lenses, especially good primes, are still very sharp on digital.

Also, while those 18-200 type lenses are very popular, most of them tend to not be very sharp unless stopped down to about f8. Whether that's worth the convenience is up to you.
I appreciate the info, thanks!
JMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 3:05 PM   #16

Well,

I have a Nikon 24/120 D lens

a 24/120 G "VR" lens

a 50mm D1.4 lens

a 85mm D1.8 lens

a18/200 G "VR" lens

They all function perfect on My D100 as well as My D200. Other then the G len's will not work on a film camera I really don't think on a digital camera there is much difference in the real world quality between the len's.

Ronnie
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 5:05 PM   #17
Administrator

Ronnie948 wrote:
Quote:
Other then the G len's will not work on a film camera I really don't think on a digital camera there is much difference in the real world quality between the len's.
The reason your 18-200mm won't work on a film camera (without vignetting) has nothing to do with the G in it's name, unless you go back to relatively old film models. It's because it's a DX format lens (you'll also find DX in it's product name).

The G designation is what Nikon uses for lens designs with no aperture ring, not for lenses that are designed for digital only.

For example, I've got a 17 year Nikon N4004s that will work with G lenses, as long as they are not DX lenses, since this camera (as do most modern film cameras) can control the aperture electronically (this one has separate dials on the camera for aperture and shutter speed and doesn't need the aperture ring to set aperture, just like Nikon DSLR models don't need it).

Unfortunately, each manufacturer uses a different "Alphabet soup" for lens designations.

With Canon, the EF-S lenses are only for DSLR models with APS-C size sensors.

With Nikon, the DX lenses are only for DSLR models with APS-C size sensors.

With Tamron, the Di II lenses are only for DSLR models with APS-C size sensors.

With Sigma, the DC lenses are only for DSLR models with APS-C size sensors.

With Sony/Konica Minolta, the DT lenses are only for DSLR models with APS-C size sensors.

(and there probably are more)

Then, you've got lenses that are "optimized for digital" while still being usable on a film camera (like Tamron's Di lenses, Sigma's DG lenses and more).

There are lots of wacky designations, and they're different between manufacturers.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote