Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 30, 2003, 2:12 PM   #1

Default Large picture quality - small size - opinions wanted

I'm ready to buy my 3rd digital camera.

Here are my top options/considerations.

1. Small size. SLR size tends to get left home, unless I go out just to shoot. I like'd like to fit it in my pocket, even if tightly.

2. High quality for printing 13x19 pictures. My wife talked me into an epson 2200 printer and I'd like to be able to print some larger photos. Family portraits, etc. PIM or EXIF.

3. Less lag time. People tend to move if it takes a few seconds or more.

4. Stronger flash. I use fill in flash outdoors a lot and beyond 10 feet pictures tend to darken too much. Editing 100's of photo's for the same reason gets old. Maybe exposure bracketing or more picture modes could make up for this ??.

Things that would be nice:

1. Larger optical zoom. I like getting pictures that are less posed - especially of my younger kids. They go all stiff and posed, zooming helps tremedously. I also like to shoot (pics) wildlife.

2. Very intuitive.

3. Double AA instead of proprietary.

4. Short movies with sound.

What I'm currently considering:
Pentax Optio 550, Sony Cybershot DSC-V1 (dislike memory sticks),
Nikon 5400, and Cannon's G5.

Thanks,

Rojen :shock:
Rojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2003, 4:37 PM   #2

Good news and bad news...

First off, I've had great success printing 13 X 19 inch pictures on my Epson 1270 from my Canon Pro90 (a 2.6 megapixel camera). Despite the traditional wisdom, the pictures are wonderful. I use Epson Heavyweight Matte paper. More megapixels might be better, but not essential. I use Genuine Fractals to "rez up" the files. I have been amazed at the quality of the output.

If you plan to move up to a new camera and plan to print 13 X 19s later anyway, you might want to take the plunge and buy a package from Epson now to get a feel for how well it does with some of your current pictures. I paid about $47 for 50 sheets.

The flash will be a problem. Built-in flashes just don't have the power to do what you're looking to do. I just bought a Canon 420EX external flash and the improvement in picture quality over the built-in flash is amazing.

I agree that that a small camera has a lot of advantages. Mine isn't handy. Used to have a little Canon A50 Zoom and it was terrific.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2003, 11:22 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. Where do you buy the paper, and may I have a part number/brand for it?

THanks,
Rojen :idea:
Old Jul 1, 2003, 2:06 AM   #4

I bought the paper from the Epson store on the Web... part number is S041263. It's listed as Super B (Super A3).

I'd bet your Epson 2200 will make some great prints on it of any picture taken with a camera over about 3 megapixels.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2003, 12:52 PM   #5

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. Rojen.