Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 1, 2003, 9:22 AM   #1

Default Smaller resolution considerably lower quality

OK real newbie question here. I have seen many posts advising it is better to take pics at all highest settings - resolution and compression - and then reduce in size if need be than take at lower settings.

I posted a lot of pics to the fotopic page in my sig below and posted them at full size.

After a comment made by someone about time taken to load on their dial up connection (I'm on dial up at home too so can understand this) I decided to resize them to 640 X 480 (or thereabouts) using Irfanview and reposted them all.

Now the pic quality is CONSIDERABLY inferior. Is this to be expected ? Is there any other better method ? I didn't expect the quality diff to be so large.

Any other ideas/pointers ?

Thanks

Stef
stefank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2003, 10:05 AM   #2

Hi Stef,

I went through the same experience...

When I cut the size down to 640x480 some looked fine on the web, but some were obviously of less quality...

I now post them at about 800x600 and can't really see much (if any) decrease in quality.
rych26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2003, 2:17 PM   #3

Quote:
I now post them at about 800x600 and can't really see much (if any) decrease in quality.
Same here - 800x600 is a nice size for the screen too.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2003, 2:20 PM   #4

I'm hoping to be on broadband soon. BT have finally decided to upgrade our exchange.

I'll have to create a network using a wireless ethernet system as there are 3 PCs in the house wanting to use it, one being a laptop to be used almost anywhere in the house but it'll cost me over 200.

What am I blabbering on about?
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2003, 3:00 PM   #5

No idea Steve. Seems to me you're just wittering on as usual - never mind Nurse is coming round soon with the medicine. I'd take more water with it in future if I were you ..tee hee hee

Just kidding Steve.

Yeah I'd quite like broadband but don't feel I can quite justify it just yet. Maybe it'll come down to sub 20 or near to sometime soon :roll:

Stef
Old Jul 2, 2003, 9:06 AM   #6

Stefank,

Whenever you downsize there will be some softening of the image. To compensate for this, you will need to use some sharpening after resizing.

In Irfanview, click File|Batch conversion/rename.

Populate the Input files list using the Add and Add all buttons.

Under "Work as" select Batch conversion.

Set the Output directory and Output format. For display on the web, I suggest setting the JPEG quality to 80 or 85.

Click Set advanced options. Check Resize, enter the size and be sure to check both Preserve aspect ratio and Use resample function.

Under "Other options" check Sharpen and set the sharpening factor to 20 initially. Experiment with this setting until you get a result that pleases you.

Click OK to close the advanced options and Start to begin the conversion.

fenlander
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2003, 9:11 AM   #7

Steve6,

I did the wireless network thing recently. Simply Computers have been selling a Buffalo 802.11g wireless router (54Mbps) bundled with a Cardbus card for the laptop for around 140. Works fine with my NTL cable modem. The faster 54g standard really makes a difference if you want to shunt photographs around your home network to your laptop.

fenlander
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2003, 9:39 AM   #8

Thanks for that very helpful and very detailed reply fenlander, much appreciated. I'm a real newbie to after picture taking tweaking so this is most helpful.

thanks again

Stef
Old Jul 4, 2003, 3:24 PM   #9

Ditto fenlander, thanks for the info.
ysr_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2003, 7:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve6
I'm hoping to be on broadband soon. BT have finally decided to upgrade our exchange.

I'll have to create a network using a wireless ethernet system as there are 3 PCs in the house wanting to use it, one being a laptop to be used almost anywhere in the house but it'll cost me over 200.

What am I blabbering on about?
steve

Dunno if you've gone broadband yet , but if not :

www.plusnet.co.uk

Have some darned good prices - the one at 21.99 looks pretty tempting - I'm paying Freeserve 14.99 for 56k :roll: