Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 9, 2002, 7:07 PM   #1

Default Which one?

Hi.....

I was wondering if anyone can help me choose from these 3:

FujiFilm FinePix 2600Z
Olympus D-510
Hp Photosmart612

It's my first digital camera and i don't know much about the subject, but i read some articles/opinions and those 3 were the most talked for beginners! I just want to take some family photos to store in my computer but also to have them printed (not at home) in normal size (6x4 - i think!)

Thanks for the attention and sorry about the english mistakes - it's not my first language!

daredevil
daredevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2002, 7:49 PM   #2

Any of those cameras may serve you fine. Spend some time reading the reviews here and on other sites and learn what features might be important to you.

I make higher demands on a camera than you likely will so I'll steer clear of specifics but give you a few things I think are important. If you want 4x6 prints you'll find even 1.3 megapixels adequate but an 8x10 print will be jaggy. Get at least 2.1 megapixels and if you can afford it get 3mp so you have flexibility in cropping.

Smart media is fine but 128mb is the largest module currently available. That's adequate for most purposes but I like having a 256mb compact flash card in my point and shoot so I can take a few hundred shots while on vacation without having to download or swap cards. If you someday move to a pro camera it will likely be compact flash only so that is something to consider.

I'd avoid proprietary lithium-ion batteries. You'll have more flexibility and lower overall cost if you get a camera that can use NiMH AA rechargable batteries. Figure in the cost of a good fast charger like the Rayovac 1 hour model (about $30, I have two of them) plus two or three sets of batteries.

Ignore digital zoom. It only works by degrading picture quality. The optical zoom ratio is meaningful but doesn't tell you everything. Look at the equivalent (to 35mm film camera) focal lengths. Most point and shoot cameras have a wide angle equivlent to 35mm which isn't particularly wide. I prefer to have a wide angle equivalent to 28mm or wider if possible but I'm kinda picky.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2002, 8:03 PM   #3

Newbie, I have just recently bought a Fujifilm mx 2900 zoom and to be completely frank, It is a great camera. It is an easy to use camera for the beginner with the features to peak your interest into learning how to take better pictures though the use of manual settings. Even if you find that you don't want to do that, I will tell you this. This camera allows me to take the best pictures I have ever taken just by reading the manual and an article I found on basic picture taking. The clarity of the pictures and the convenience are exceptional. Of course I may be a little bias because I own one. Good Luck

Efrain
Efrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2002, 10:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally posted by daredevil
Hi.....

I was wondering if anyone can help me choose from these 3:

FujiFilm FinePix 2600Z
Olympus D-510
Hp Photosmart612

It's my first digital camera and i don't know much about the subject, but i read some articles/opinions and those 3 were the most talked for beginners! I just want to take some family photos to store in my computer but also to have them printed (not at home) in normal size (6x4 - i think!)

Thanks for the attention and sorry about the english mistakes - it's not my first language!

daredevil
------------------------------------------------

First of all, as someone else said, browse the sites on reviews. This site is incredibly good with it's reviews, as are some others (www.megapixel.net, www.imaging-resource.com), I have my own small site (www.digitalcamerabasics.com) though I do few reviews on it.

The Olympus and Fuji are really good models. The Fuji is nice, and takes sharp photos, and it's a bit cheaper than the Olympus in some stores. For a few $ more, you can get the Fuji 2800 and get a 6X zoom, to boot. Again though, there are so many good ones to choose from, do the sites first. I'll be honest though, so far, I'm not fond at all with the lower-end H.P. cameras. So far, none of their image quality impresses me, so (personal opinion here) the printers are good, but the cameras - nah.

Greg
atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2002, 10:57 AM   #5

Default Take a look at cnet too

With all due respect to the fire hose of knowledge this site provides, it can be too much for the newbie. Consider taking a look at cnet.com's camera reviews. They are less detailed, but that can be a good thing for a newbie. Once you've narrowed it down, read the detailed reviews here.

You're in the ballpark, get at least 3x optical zoom to make the most of the pixels you have.
buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote