Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 21, 2007, 3:20 PM   #1

Hi there - I am new to the digital camera world - my family were looking to get a digital camcorder - but then were told that there are some digital SLRs that can take short movies as part of their functionality - could I have some help please in terms of which digital SLRs have best movie function - as this option would seem to give us the best of both worlds; I have only old manual SLRs at present.

The other issue may be that down here in New Zealand we don't have a great range to coose from.

Look forward to hearing back

Cheers

pgilmour
pgilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2007, 3:27 PM   #2

No digital SLR can take video clips for reasons such as the mirror and shutter are in the way as well as the sensor and image processor doesn't allow live video mode.

The vast majority of point and shoot cameras do take video clips however, but it is up to you to decide if they are as good as video taken by a real camcorder.

Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 3:52 PM   #3

Many thanks Bob

You can tell I no nothing about these things; do you have any suggestions regarding which point & shoot digital camerashave the best movie function as well?

Cheers

Paul
pgilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 5:10 PM   #4

I shoot with a DSLR at present and the point and shoot camera I had previously didn't have a great video function so I just ignored it as it wasn't important to me. I'll leave it to others on the forum to recommend a suitable camera.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 5:58 PM   #5

If you want good movies, buy a camcorder. If you want good photos buy a camera. A lot of camcorders will also take still photos, but not good ones. A lot of cameras will take video clips, but not good ones. Depends on which you think you want more, movies or photos.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 8:25 PM   #6

Caboose has got it right. If you want still photos, get a digital camera. If you want video get a digital camcorder.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote