Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 3, 2003, 8:15 AM   #1

Default Focusing problem...

If I am trying to shoot through a wire fence ( baseball park) will I be able to focus on the subject in the field and not the fence if I don't have manual control over my shot?

5700 vs s602 vs 7hi
Going to purchase a camer tonight, I have been continuously reading reviews and forums trying to determine which camera is best for me.

I agree, the pics from the 5700 are great. My main reason for not choosing it is because I want manual focus.

I am hoping that I will receive more great insight from you pros.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GIGGLEZALLDAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2003, 9:00 AM   #2

You can use the cp5700 also - but it's manuel focus is NOT good. And much much to slow to use. Shooting through af fence will be much easier with the Dimage.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2003, 9:58 AM   #3

Default Re: Focusing problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIGGLEZALLDAY
If I am trying to shoot through a wire fence ( baseball park) will I be able to focus on the subject in the field and not the fence if I don't have manual control over my shot?

GIGGLEZALLDAY,
You can use spot AF if your cam has that mode. When the fence is nearer you than the subject, itís easy to see right away that the cam focuses the wrong target , but when the fence is closer to the subject than you, you may not see the wrong focus lock with EVF or the LCD.
I use spot AF also for animals in the trees for example, surrounded by branches and leaves. With normal AF, very often, it locks on anything , but the right target.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2003, 5:01 PM   #4

Your subject is probably far enough from you to allow using the infinite focus of the camera. My camera (a Kodak DX4330) does not have manual focusing but it does have a "Landscape" mode that is simply a mode that forces infinity focus and flash off. I use it quite often in situations where auto focus can be confused by situations like yours and the subject is far enough (thirty something feet in this camera). As an added bonus, the camera shoots much quicker - shorter shutter lag - because the focusing time is eliminated.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote