Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 23, 2007, 8:23 AM   #1

Hi guys,
I recenly bought FUJI S5600 and I am in experiment faze now. I noticed that when I shoot in RAW mode, resolution of picture is about 3650 * 2750 which equals 10 M Pixels.How is that possible on a camera that has 5M Pixels? I don't think that there is a mistake because the pictures in RAW are much better, you can really see the difference? I am all new in fotography, so if this is a stupid question, I apologize
kele is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2007, 9:25 AM   #2

Something is clearly wrong here.
Looking at the reviews of that camera that I can find, that resolution number is wrong. It should be 2592 x 1944 (5MP, as you expected.)

Are you sure you're looking at a RAW file from that camera and not another one?

Another interesting point is that I had trouble finding a review for a Fuji S5600, until on dpreview's list of reviews it implied that the S5200 Zoom is also known as the S5600. So that is what I'm basing my comments on above.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 9:32 AM   #3

You are assuming one byte per pixel, which may be correct for 8-bit grayscale. However, each pixel, depending on several factors, can have several bytes. 24 bit RGBuses 3 bytes per pixel.

If I remember correctly, RAW files have 12 bits of data per pixel color.

Very simplistically, then, a RAW file holds the raw (unprocessed, so to speak, and uncompressed) information off the sensor. Since there are several differing manufacturer formats of RAW, a specific program that supports that/those variants is required to process the RAW data into an acceptable photograph. You get to choose and tweakthe setting parameters that would otherwise be pre-chosen by the camera's built in algorithms.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 10:11 AM   #4

I have taken about 10 photos in RAW. All of them are in resolution 35xx * 27xx and 24bit = 28MB. And that is after conversion from RAW to TIFF. In RAW format, size was 10.6MB. For conversion RAW->TIFF , I am using FineViever, which is found on the CD that came with the camera. There isn't any kind of setup for RAW or conversions from RAW.I try to convert RAW with that free software s7raw and see what happens?
Old Jan 23, 2007, 8:56 PM   #5

You said something slightly different in the comment in your last post. Maybe it was a type-o. You said the image was 10MB (note the B not a P.) Was that a mistake? They mean different things.

Some things like photoshop can enlarge the image at the same time they convert it. Do you know if the raw converter you used can?

Don't worry about the 24-bits or how many bits per pixel. That doesn't change that the image is 5 megapixel or 10 megapixel. That is only a count of how many pixels make up the image, not how much memory is needed to store it or how many bits are used per pixel to represent the pixel's color.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 11:20 PM   #6

Fuji like to upscale their images. So a 5MP camera will output a 10MP image. This has been a Fuji trait for a long time, especially on cameras with their SuperCCD imagers.

The Fuji dSLR's (6MP) often get advertized as 12MP and you will see endless debate in the Fuji dSLR forums about whether the camera is a 6 or a 12 MP camera (it's 6).
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 6:27 AM   #7

So , I bought 10 M Pixel camera for 200e, that sounds good . That "upscaling" sound like a bad thing. As I understand, my 10 M Pixels are not equal to real 10 M Pixel cameras (quality)? Or are they?
Old Jan 24, 2007, 7:36 AM   #8

kele wrote:
Quote:
So , I bought 10 M Pixel camera for 200e, that sounds good . That "upscaling" sound like a bad thing. As I understand, my 10 M Pixels are not equal to real 10 M Pixel cameras (quality)? Or are they?
Yes and No. The Fuji Super CCD has pixels stacked like cannonballs; each row of pixels is located halfway between those in the row above or below. When making the RAW file, the firmware interpolates those "missing" pixels (those in the rows directly above and below) based on the surrounding pixels.

But wait, you say, those are interpolated data andtherefore you are making a "phony" increase in resolution. Actually, all digital camerasinterpolate, or estimate, the RGB value of each pixel based on thelight seen by itself and surrounding pixels. Each pixel is only sensitive to light, and not color, so some pixelshave a blue filter over them, some green and some red. To get the final RGB values for any pixel, an interpolation must take place based on the light intensity of neighboring pixels sensitive to the other colors.

Think of it like a stock split. If you own ten shares of stock, and it splits, are you better off?
Wolverine@MSU is offline   Reply With Quote