Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 29, 2007, 12:05 AM   #1

I will be attending a friends wedding in the next week. A freind is willing to lend me his Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 for the day. I have also been considering purchasing the Nikkor 50mm F/1.8. My question is, will the f/2.8 be good enough to capture hand held photos with available light (not using the flash)?

Thanks
wall33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2007, 7:06 AM   #2

The answer is an emphatic maybe. How much light is there? What is the highest ISO your camera can handle without noise? Are you going to try to capture motion, or shoot only when people are fairly still? How good are you at hand-holding a camera?

One solution to marginal shake is to shoot a lot of duplicates and use the one(s) that don't have shake. So shoot a lot and take a lot of memory so you don't have to worry about running out.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 7:40 AM   #3

Bill is absolutely correct - it's impossible for anyone here to answer whether or not 2.8 will be good enough.

But, there is another aspect to this question - what types of shots are you looking to get? Since you say available light w/o flash I'm going to assume the church since you should be allowed flash anywhere else. So, what type of shot are you looking for? It's an important question because that will drive where you need to be positioned to get such a shot. And it will drive what FOCAL LENGTH is required for the shot - 50mm may be not be wide enough or it may be way too short - if you bought the prime lens.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 10:34 AM   #4

I have a Nikon D50, and according to the manual, I can shoot at ISO200 to 1600 with shutter speeds from 30 to 1/4,000 second. As this is a new camera, I don't know how it is for noise.

As for how am I at hand held shots? I would like to think that I'm ok. I very seldom use my tripod, so I take hand held shots 95% of the time and I am usually very pleased with the results. I mostly take pictures at sporting events (usually my son's lacrosse and basketball, but also my baseball), so I am accustomed to taking picktures of still and moving targets.

As for how much light there will be? Well, thats a good question. The wedding will be in a hall, not a church. As such, I really have no idea what the lighting will be like. It will be a late afternoon ceremony, and I know they have lots of windows at the hall, so natural light should be good (assuming sunny day) and the blinds are not closed.The roomseemed well lit, but I didn't get a chance to take any photos as test shots.I'm sure I could use a flash, but would rather not for the ceremony.

As for what kind of shots I would like to take? I think most of the photos will be with little motion. Having said that, the bride walking down the isle will have motion. I understand they will be performing a Sand Ceremony, so I assume some motion there, but I don't know how much. So, other than the subjects shifting a little or moving there heads, I don't expect much motion for the photos. I will try to take photos of some of the guests in the room too, so I'm sure there may be some motion there too.

As for distance, I really don't know where I will be (allowed) to stand. My assumption would be that I would not be any closer than 10 feet, and hopefuly now farther away than 25 feet.

Thanks for all your help and advice!
Old Jan 29, 2007, 10:47 AM   #5

Here's a question. Can you visit the hall ahead of time? Maybe go there on another day around the same time of day? I'd hate for you to spend $120 on a new lens ifi the one you have is quite capable of the job. If you can get 1/60 shutter speeds you should be fine with a lens like the 28-75 (if you hand-hold OK).
Old Jan 29, 2007, 11:26 AM   #6

you will need to shoot at f4 or f5.6 in order to obtain adequate DOF

using a [email protected] will not give sufficient DOF if shooting from 6-10 feet

try iso 800 @ 1/60s f4.0

bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 11:31 AM   #7

Unfortunately due to timing, I would only be able to go in the day before the wedding. So, not much time to make a purchase decision, or for that matter test out the new lens so that I am familiar with it.

I'm positive that from what I have read, and seen samples of, the 50mm f/1.8 would do a great job with the available light. My biggest concern becomes will the 50mm allow me to take all the shots I want with the least amount of moving around. I really don't want to be a distraction to the guests or the bride and groom. I do know that I will have to move around a little, nobody wants all the shots from the same angle, but I will want some pictures of the bride and groom exchanging vows, was thinking from the waist up. With a 50mm, how close would I have to be? I can probably answer this question myself by doing sometest shots with the kit lenses I have and setting it to 50mm.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 11:33 AM   #8

At 6-10 feet how much DoF am I looking at with the 50mm f/1.8? My fist thought would be to have the bride in groom's faces in focus, and let everything else blur out.

I'm completly new at this type of photography, I mostly take sports pictures and have let the camera do 99% of the work. Looks like I will need to do some more reading and practicing in the next couple of days.

Old Jan 29, 2007, 2:27 PM   #9

Handy Dandy DOF Calculator

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html
Old Jan 29, 2007, 4:49 PM   #10

Thanks JohnG, that calculator is increadably handy!And they have a Palm version too, sweet!