Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 30, 2007, 7:16 AM   #1

Hi there,

I have a Canon SD600 digicam and I´m interested only in printing my pictures at 300 dpi and 5 x 7 inches.

Like all users, I want the best images I can get with as much storage in my SD card possible.

I was thinking about using either 2816 x 2112 with fine compression or 2272 x 1704 with superfine compression.

I also use the AiAF off, ISO 80 or 200 (in low lights with flash).

What´s your opion?

Tks.
glb2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2007, 8:47 AM   #2

I always shoot at the highest quality setting. You never know when you may want to print bigger or need to crop, and with the ever dropping costs of storage/backup media, I see no reason to limit your file size. Higher compressions introduce artifacts that cannot be removed. That being said, you should be able to print pretty good quality 5x7's at the higher compression sizes.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 8:08 AM   #3

glb2007 wrote:
Quote:
Hi there,

I have a Canon SD600 digicam and I´m interested only in printing my pictures at 300 dpi and 5 x 7 inches.

Like all users, I want the best images I can get with as much storage in my SD card possible.

I was thinking about using either 2816 x 2112 with fine compression or 2272 x 1704 with superfine compression.

I also use the AiAF off, ISO 80 or 200 (in low lights with flash).

What´s your opion?

Tks.
A 5 x 7 print at 300 dpi requires an image that has a resolution of 5 x 300 x 7 x 300, or 1,500 x by 2,100. Anything larger would be ok too, but you shouldn't use anything less. Andthe largest single factor in your resulting image quality is JPEG compression.

Since the Canon SD600 doesn't offer the option to save RAW image files (files that contain the exact image that the image sensor sensed, which are quite large), you can only get compressed images, and any compression setting will degrade the original image. The JPEG compression algorithms combine individual pixels, or just discard pixels they think the image can do without. The only question is, how much degradation will you tolerate?

A setting of "Medium1" (1,704 x 2,272) will start with an image that is larger than the 1,500 x by 2,100 you need for a 5 x 7 print at 300 dpi, but compression reduces the file size by reducing the image quality, so the least amount of compression would be best. But if all you want is prints that will only ever be viewed at no less than 1/2 an arm's length, you might be able to get away with greater compression.

The best thing to do is to take a picture, at each resolution and compression setting, of a familiar scene that contains lots of fine detail, and see which combinations of settings you can live with. (Don't use flash or digital zoom. Flash may wash out any subtle shading or textures, and digital zoom just crops the image.)

Of course, if you think you might ever want to crop an image, then throw all this out the window, and just shoot "Large" and "Superfine" so you have the best possible image with which to work.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote