Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 1, 2007, 6:54 PM   #1

okay, my last topic is getting off topic... i have reviewed and refined what I need from a camera and would like your assistance either finding a site that will allow me to find a camera that meets my specifications or give me your reccomendations, please.

Here is what I am looking for *now* in a camera...

Digital, compact form factor
ISO 1600 (or above)
image stabilization
movie mode (the higher the res the better, but 848x480 looks like where it tops out)
manual aperture control, an actual iris if possible, not software
manual focus is a big, big plus

some ability to add filters or even other lenses would be nice, but i don't think its very likely in that form factor

I saw a nice lecia, c3 i think, but it only goes upto ISO 400... everything else looked great on it except for the ISO... i want to be able to take low light videos

any assistance you can give me would be appreciated

Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2007, 7:06 PM   #2

I know of no camera that can take movies and has 1600 ISO.
The changes they have to make to a camera sensor to make it work for videos usually means that it can't support very high isos. I would be *very* surprised if any camera out there right now can.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 7:18 PM   #3

Fuji's diferent lines of cameras have iso1600 and movie mode. Cameras like the S9000 and F30. No image stabilization though. I can't speak as to how either of those cameras perform since I don't own either.
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 7:55 PM   #4

As Eric pointed out the high ISO capability of a camera doesn't carry over to the movies. Some cameras without good high ISO capabilities seem to take better low light movies than some cameras that are good at high ISO. Probably the best non-DSLR cameras out there for good high ISO quality are the Fuji cameras with the 6Mp 1/1.7 sensor, and they aren't particularly good at low light movies.

For the rest of your requirements you might look at the Panasonic LX2. It takes 1280 X 720 movies at 15 fps. And it goes to ISO3200 if you could make out the results as a photo. It has full manual controls and good mechanical image stabilization.

Some people say they want a compact when they really want a sub-compact. The Canon A710is is a compact with stabilization and full manual controls. It also has a good optical viewfinder. It goes only to ISO 800.

I don't find manual focus to be very useful on a LCD camera unless it has a digital readout of the focus distance – and most don't.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 7:56 PM   #5

do compact form factor cameras usually have an actual aperture for the light to pass through, or is it usually done in software?
Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 8:10 PM   #6

Noble wrote:
Quote:
do compact form factor cameras usually have an actual aperture for the light to pass through, or is it usually done in software?
I think most compacts with manual controls have a relatively full aperture range – usually up to f8. There are limitations with the small sensors that keep compact apertures from going much above that.

Many sub-compacts have limited aperture and a built-in ND filter. You can usually determine the actual aperture capability of a camera by the aperture choices in aperture priority and full manual. I have only two aperture choices in my little Z750 and the rest is done by filters. The EXIF will show apertures in the f12 range in auto and shutter priority, but at wide angle the only actual apertures are f2.8 and f4. Those vary with zoom but there are still only two apertures.

It isn't a big deal with a little sensor. Little cameras seem to do fine at lower apertures and there is plenty of depth of field.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 8:45 PM   #7

If your main goal here is videos, you should be looking at a video camera. There are some still cameras that take decent videos, but there are no still cameras that take great videos.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote