Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 6, 2003, 4:55 AM   #1

Default Time-lapse photography with digital?

One of my hobbies is taking very long-exposure photographs (some samples are at http://keneckert.byus.net/pictures/picbranch.html). I usually set my old Pentax Superprogram in shutter-priority for a 15 second exposure, which let me burn dim lights into the film.

Now that my beloved Superprogram is dead and gone, I'm thinking of making the jump to digital, and am eyeing up a few, including Nikon's 5400. Does anyone have experience with how digital handles really looooong exposures?

Ken:>
Moldy Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2003, 5:15 AM   #2

Long exposures in digital cameras results in 'hot pixels' and noise problems. I think 15 seconds is a bit long, since this is the sort of period people use with a capped lens to show up the problem.

There are programs that can mask out hot pixels, and some will clean up noise for you. I may be a bit confused by your post heading. My reply assumes you want to open the shutter for 15 seconds for one exposure. If you want to fire off one shot every 15 seconds in good light that's fairly easy with the right camera and remote controls.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2003, 9:15 AM   #3

You're right, Vox, I was using the wrong term-- what I mean is taking single photographs in very dim light or none at 7-15 second exposure times. At this time length, passing cars burn their headlights into lines, streetlights form blazing stars, and church stained glass glows like neon.

It worked nicely with my old camera, and if this is something digital cameras can't do, it would make sense for me not to stay with film. Has anyone tried this sort of photography?

Here's an example at http://keneckert.byus.net/pictures/m...-nightblur.jpg
Ken:>
Moldy Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2003, 10:39 AM   #4

OK fine, now I understand. The nearest I have got to this is some firework shots I did at the weekend, but that was using 1/8 to 1/2 sec at 400ASA and there was no significant background noise. I did notice that even a small fire can look like a movie special effect with the longer exposures!

I haven't got an excuse to try some long exposures so I hope somebody else whose done it can help you. It might not be the right test, but I just shot a black frame (lens capped) on my 602, 15 sec at f11, 200 ASA. I couldn't see any nasties, on histogram a couple of pixels below mid grey - and that was it, there must be in-cam noise reduction. You must have manual focus options and a way of 'finding infinity'
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2003, 11:11 PM   #5

It all depends on the digital camera. For the most part, consumer digicams can't hack long exposures for a variety of reasons. The noise levels increase dramatically even with a 10 second exposure.

If you want to do long exposures with digital, the D60, 10D or EOS-1DS are the best bets. The EOS-1DS is best for this, followed by the 10D and D60. Unfortunately, the EOS-1DS is expensive, but there are circuits which follow the exposure with an additional dark frame exposure then do a subtraction process which allows exposures of several minutes with excellent results. Below is an exposure of 30 seconds from my EOS-1DS. Similar results would be available at this exposure time from my 10D.

The light polution on the right hand side is from headlight of a car which came into the frame while exposing.

Lin

Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote