Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 9, 2003, 4:05 PM   #1

Default Olympus C-4000 or Nikon Coolpix 4300?

Hi, Nice forum

I am new to Digital Photography. I have some experience with 35mm cameras, but not too much. I want to buy a good digital camera. I don't want to go overboard, but I don't want too shabby either. I did some research, but I need some help.
I was thinking of buying an Olympus C-4000 or the equally priced Nikon Coolpix 4300. One thing I am confused about, do they both use the same kind of film card? What kind of film card should a camera have that I can be sure to be using in the future?
I also like the Olympus 750, but I think it's out of my price range, and may have more features than I need.
So, any opinions on which camera might be good for me? Please give me any opinions on what you think a newbie to digital photography should get.
Also, I like to take pictures while I travel, at baseball games, of my flowers, people, landscapes, and all sorts of things.
Thank You.
gardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2003, 5:47 PM   #2

Okay, I figured out the Olympus uses SM and the Nikon CF. Which one of these is better though? Thanks
Old Jul 9, 2003, 7:29 PM   #3

I like CF over SM

CF the contacts are in the inside of the card were the SM the contacts are on the outside, so they can get scratched up more.

CF also comes in larger sizes than SM does, unless that has changed.
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2003, 7:59 PM   #4

Hi, Gimli! The point about the SM scratching is a good one. I don't want to take all those pictures only to mess it up by a stupid mistake.
I think the CF might be better too, as I can get an XD 256MB card for $107.00, but I can get a CF 512MB card for $116. That's a big difference. Twice the memory for almost the same price. I am worried CF will be phased out though, they already have a CF2?

(I am a little confused does the Olympus C-4000 take XD or SM? or is XD and SM interchangable?)
Old Jul 10, 2003, 3:23 AM   #5

Cf is not going to be replaced by cf2. Cf2 is merely the higher storage and larger card type that is used in many high end cameras. Currently compact flash type 1 comes in the second largest quantities (second only to cf type 2), is one of the cheapest formats around and the most popular. Though with the trend towards smaller cameras more and more manufacturers are using sd/mmc cards, cf will be around for a long time. Also, there are adapters that allow cf cameras to take xd picture cards or sd/mmc cards.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2003, 11:41 AM   #6

Okay, thank you very much.

Any opinions on which camera?

Anyone?

Old Jul 10, 2003, 3:18 PM   #7

I too was also faced with the same choice, I finally made my decision (after much research) by visiting my local camera store and actually handling both models.

I found that the Nikon is very small in the hand and in my opinion a bit too small (and I have small hands). So the decision was made for me by Nikon's design team.

I recieved my C-4000 last New Years Eve and can honestly say that I have not regreted making that choice for a second.

You can also get a C-4000 for a good price at the moment - here in the UK anyway.

Tim
jabtas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2003, 4:44 PM   #8

jabtas, I am a little confused about the Olympus Memory. Is it Smart Media or XD Picture card, or both? Also, did you find the camera easy to use, or is it very complicated? I can buy it for around $400.00 U.S.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 2:14 AM   #9

the oly c-4000 uses smart media only and if it's anything like the c3000, it is as easy to use as you want it to be.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2003, 9:57 AM   #10

I guess I am going to have to call the manufacturer on this one.
Steves 4 megapixel camera list says the C-4000 used SM. Newegg.com says the camera uses SD in the camera description and comes with a 16MB SD card. Plus, underneath the camera, Newegg has XD cards listed. VERY CONFUSING.