Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 9, 2003, 7:41 PM   #1

Default Error message

Hi Friends:

Just purchased an Olympus Stylus 300 and am tinkering with. Haven't figured out how to properly quit after downloading pictures to my computer.

I have an iMac running Jaguar. After downloading, I unplug the USB cable and get a message that says:

The device you emoved was not properly put away. Data might have been lost or damaged. Before disconnecting a device, you should select its icon in the Finder and choose Eject from the File menu.

So-o-o-o, but there's no icon in the Finder which I assume means the dock.

Help from fellow Apple folks appreciated.

Thanks,

SudsK
SudsK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2003, 6:44 AM   #2

On a PC, you have an icon in the Taskbar tray. You right click the icon and tell it you want to safely remove hardware. When the application window pops up you double click on the device and remove it when prompted. If the Mac differs in this regard, try checking the instructions or read me file that came with the CD or check the manufacturer's web site.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2003, 8:45 AM   #3

Default Error Message

Oh no - you mean I've got to read the instructions! Just kidding - but I will take a look. Thanks for the response Cope.
Old Jul 10, 2003, 8:52 AM   #4

I would bet that is as well. You have to (some how) tell the Mac that you are removing the USB device before actually unplugging it. I had high hopes for USB... that you could just unplug it and it would take care of it... I mean, it can detect that it was taken out incorrectly!

But there are reasons why you have to "tell it" that you are removing the device. This way, it can warn you of some piece of software is using it. Unplugging it while in use could only cause trouble.

Eric

ps. My experience is on a PC, so I can't really help more... sorry.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2003, 5:36 PM   #5

Default Error Message

Thanks for the help. Found the solution at Olympus's website and it's too simple. Thanks for the reminder to check there. When you plug the camera into the computer, it puts an "untitled" disk drive icon on your desktop. Just drag that to the trash and then unplug the camera.

SudsK