Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 17, 2007, 5:34 PM   #1

If you dont have a Olympus, but some of all the other brands that for some reason refuse to implement in-camera pixelmapping, how much does it cost to get a bad pixel fixed?

Is it just like $20 or so, and the worst thing is you have to be without your dear camera for a few weeks, or is it like $200, or even above?

Many thanks if someone knows something
ASBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2007, 6:28 PM   #2

I don't know what the going rates for camera repair are in Sweden, but in the US, if you send your cam to the manufacturer's repair station, the basic charges run around $75 to $175 (plus shipping and insurance, of course), and I wouldn't expect to get it back for at least a month.

Did you do a search online? I've seen some free pixel mapping software around... usually camera specific. I don't know if any exists for 'some of all the other brands', though.

Good luck.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 6:34 PM   #3

Ouch, thats expensive. Makes me wonder if I'll ever dare buying something else than Olympus DSLR. Not that theres anything bad with them, but other brands have other strengths, and specially more lenses to choose from.

Do you mean software that fixes it in the camera, or just some software that you have to run all your pictures through and it will fix them outside of the camera?
Old Feb 17, 2007, 9:07 PM   #4

Most of them only remove the bad pixels from pics. There were a few floating around that would remove them from the camera, but who knows what else it might have removed from your camera...untested and unsafe - pretty risky. Obviously the camera manufacturers must have something that works. I guess as long as they can charge big bucks to fix sensors, they aren't going to let it out. Sooner or later, someone will put something out. Keep your eyes open.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 9:57 PM   #5

Pixel mapping does not repair the bad pixel, just instructs the camera to ignore it when creating the image.

If you shoot RAW with any camera, there are raw converters which correct bad pixels while doing the conversion. Very similar to what pixel mapping does in camera.

Thisisn't really a big issue, and I wouldn't choose a camera on the basis of pixel mapping.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2007, 4:29 AM   #6

I know it doesn't repair the bad pixel, I believe that would be pretty hard to fix

Anyway, sure, they might make big money from picky people like myself who couldn't live with a bright pixel in the middle of all pics I take, but on the other hand those people might do whatever they can to get their hands on an Olympus instead and then they make absolutely no money at all instead.

Its just sad such a simple feature couldn't be implemented by anyone.

Thanks though, now I know its somewhat pricy to fix, and probably takes like a month or so. I'll really have to think twice before buying something....lots of factors to consider....even worse than buying a P&S
Old Feb 18, 2007, 8:09 AM   #7
Administrator

The manufacturers have software to do this with (map out bad pixels).

Basically, the coordinates are placed in a bad pixel table in EEPROM, and the camera then interpoltes around them during processing.

If you dig around, you can find software to remap pixels yourself in some of the older Nikon and Olympus non-DSLR models (the software allows you to trigger a firmware based remap routine).

I've got software to remap bad pixels in a Nikon D100 (but, not for newer Nikon DSLR models).

Some models have undocumented auto remapping of bad pixels. For example, there is evidence to suggest that some Canon DSLR models will map out bad pixels when using the cleaning menu choice (which flips up the mirror for CCD cleaning).

There is also some evidence to suggest that Konica Minolta DSLR models implement a CCD remap when the month changes (and you can force the remap by setting the date to the next month).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote