Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 19, 2007, 2:45 PM   #1

Does all DSLR's show you what focuspoint is in focus as you use the manual focus on the lens?
Someone said somewhere that as you turn the focus ring the focus points in the viewfinder will start to glow/blink/whatever as the focus hits them.

Sounds very convenient, if its fast and accurate, but does ALL DSLR's offer such a feature, or is it just pro-models or some specific brand?

I guess, if AF is a bit unreliable or slow on cheaper lenses (specially long telezooms) maybe it will be very good to use some MF, and this kind of help/aid would probably be great then...right?

Thanks
ASBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2007, 3:25 PM   #2

Mine doesn't do it, so I guess the answer would be no.

And it's not that AF is unreliable on cheaper leses, so much as AF is unreliable on darker lenses.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 4:38 PM   #3

TCav wrote:
Quote:

And it's not that AF is unreliable on cheaper leses, so much as AF is unreliable on darker lenses.
Ok.
So, what camera do you have then? An older model maybe?

Would be very very handy I guess, when using MF and tuning focus which might be hard to see in the viewfinder, you get aid from the focuspoints showing where the camera think its focus. Specially when focusing through branches and stuff, where the AF would get stuck at the wrong spot.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 4:52 PM   #4

I personally know that the Pentax K100d and the Canon 5D do it because I've used both. On the Pentax, it seems like only the center AF point works when I use a MF lens, unless I've changed a setting somewhere that disabled the rest of the AF points. The rest of the points work when I use the kit lens in manual focus though.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 5:02 PM   #5

my Canon 20D also does it I can't say for sure if it only works with the center focus point because I have mine set to only use the center focus point. you do have to have the shutter button pressed half way.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 6:04 PM   #6

Mu Nikon D70s does flash the focus light as you turn the focus ring, but you have to be watching for it as it doesn't stay on long. I felt I was paying too much attention to the light and not enough to the composition as a result.

I'm not sure what the advantage of using the same focus function manually that could be working automatically. If it's focussing on the wrong thing you'll be just as wrong.

Overall, the focussing screen on autofocus DSLRs isn't the greatest tool for judging accurate focus. My film SLR had microprisms and split-image centers that really worked although the split-image used to black out with long lenses and low light.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 8:51 PM   #7

Pentax *IST D works this way, and on MF lenses, only the center focus point is active. You can also have it beep at you when this occurs (default setting) if you enjoy your machinery making noises at you.

The split prism focus screens as on film SLRs are definitely a better way to go for manual focus. They are available for DSLRs from (Katzeye ?) but may cause problems with metering, from what I've read. Also a bit (!) more expensive than the factory replacements.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 3:06 AM   #8

Ok, thank you guys
Didn't know abuot that halfpress thing either to get this function to work.

But this must be very useful, or what do you say? I dont know how small the focusing points are on a DSLR, if they are just like a single spot, or if its a larger frame covering several procents of the screen?

That split prism thing for focusing, is that something all analog SLR's use or?
Is it the same kind of mechanism as on the old Leicas...rangefinder?
Old Feb 20, 2007, 7:31 AM   #9

I've never had much luck with manual focus on my D50. The photos look in focus thru the viewfinder but are slightly out of focus when I get them home. Either there is something wrong with the lens or my vision is not what it used to be.
BEECEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 8:08 AM   #10

ASBR wrote:
Quote:
TCav wrote:
Quote:
Ok.
So, what camera do you have then? An older model maybe?
I hava a Konica-Minolta Maxxum 5D. It has two Manual Focus modes.

There is an AF/MF switch that, when in the MF position, the autofocus system is disabled and the focusing ring on the lens can be used to focus.

Also, the autofocus system has a DMF (Direct Manual Focus) mode, where the autofocus system will focus the lens and then enable the the focusing ring on the lens so the focus can be adjusted manually.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote