Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 23, 2007, 2:01 PM   #1

I have just bought myself a Fuji 6500FD, and with it, I bought one of those generic 2x telephoto lens' off Ebay. I have been taking alot of photo's of birds in the garden, and figured doubling the zoom of my camera (from 300mm) would give me a huge improvement. I have attached 2 quick snaphots I have just taken form the same position...1 with the telephoto lens, and one without. Is that really the difference i should be expecting or have I been diddled? Going by the pictures on the box, I was expecting the size of whatever object I may be photographing to be doubled when using the lens...but maybe thats just me expecting far too much!?

Thanks in advance,

Alan.

themosttogain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2007, 3:00 PM   #2

The amount vignetting the "with" picture shows would be unacceptable to me if I spent more than a$1.99. If the size representation inyour samples arerepresentative shows it to be about 1.2x rather than 2x
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 3:07 PM   #3

I examined the two images. The EXIF data states that they were both taken at a focal length of 29mm., but there's no distance-to-subject data. If both the images were taken from EXACTLY the same position, then objects in [without.jpg] should be magnified to twice the size (2X) as the same objects in [withtele.jpg].

The image of the cow in [without.jpg] from the back of it's rear hoof to the tip of (whatever that is in its mouth) is about 307 pixels, but the image of the cow in [withtele.jpg] is about 375 pixels. 375/307 is about 1.2X, not 2X.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 3:07 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply. The vignetting is only apparent at zooms below the 300mm...at full zoom it is no longer apparent...bad example shot on my part. So you're basically saying that I am right to expect an effective doubling in size from a 2x telephoto lens? If so I'll send the thing back. If I was to go for a Fuji 2x telephoto (if there is one, would I get the 'doubling' in size. Apologies if my terminology isn't great, but you gotta start somewhere right? Oh...incidentally, I paid about £25 inc. postage!
Old Feb 23, 2007, 3:10 PM   #5

Ooh, another reply while I was writing. I had a look at the lens and it says 'FUTIN pro Digital Tele Converter 2.0x58mm' around it...that suggests to me it should be 2x and not 1.2x aggreed?
Old Feb 23, 2007, 3:16 PM   #6

themosttogain wrote:
Quote:
... it says 'FUTIN pro Digital Tele Converter 2.0x58mm' around it ...
That rules out the possibility that a "1." might have been scratched off, converting the "1.2X" to "2X".

Old Feb 24, 2007, 7:25 AM   #7

in order to avoid/minimize the vignetting you must zoom the camera to max when using the converter lens

the two sample shots were possibly taken at different zoom settings
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2007, 9:04 AM   #8

bernabeu wrote:
Quote:
the two sample shots were possibly taken at different zoom settings
Actually, the EXIF data for both shotslists the focal length at 29mm.

Unfortunately, Fuji advertises the focal length of their lenses in 35mm equivalents, not the actual focal lengths. For the S6500fd, they advertise a focal length of 28mm to 300mm, but the actual focal length of the lens is 6.2mm to 66.7mm. So a focal length of 29mm is a moderate telephoto, which looks about right for the images.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 10:59 AM   #9
rey

Why don't you try shooting a distant object outside since to get a true field of view of a zoom lens, the lens has to be focused on infinity.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2007, 6:42 AM   #10

I have been trying to work out how to set my camera to infinity focus but I'm having no luck. I have taken the 2 attached photos from a longer distance in landscape mode which I believe uses infinity focus(?), but as you can see there is a big focus problem with the lens fitted. I don't think its anything i'm doing wrong because it always seems to be present.

Any firther advice is greatly appreciated!