Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 25, 2007, 10:01 AM   #1

Hi folks.

I am using a HP r707 compact digital camera. The camera gave me pretty good results for more than a year & has suddenly developed a snag..the pictures are banded(horizontal lines) and totally off color with very high contrast. It was working fine..and suddenely it showed kinda negativesed shots. It shows perfect preview in the viewfinder but once the pic is taken.. its totally ruined.

This problem persists in all settings and presets. However, when I record short video clips..the picture quality is great... both in playback..and preview.

I tried everything instructed on HP Chat program..nothing worked. I was then advised to call my local dealer..as it seems an internal problem. The local dealer says..that HP does not take repairs from any camera outside its warranty period, which is already over.

Sample of pictures taken b4 this problem occured can be seenHEREand after the problem occuredat these links-P1P2P3 P4.

Would appriciate any kinda feedback on dis. An if, I have to open it up..if some1 has already done it..kindly help me wid it.

Thanka a lot !:sad:
scorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 25, 2007, 10:23 AM   #2
Administrator

Try different batteries, just for the heck of it. But, you'll probably want to start shopping for another camera.

It's more likely a component failure (probably the CCD sensor itself), and it wouldn't be practical to try and fix it.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2007, 2:28 PM   #3

scorius wrote:
Quote:
The local dealer says..that HP does not take repairs from any camera outside its warranty period, which is already over.
That's pretty crumby. I wonder if the people in the HP forum know about this.

I don't think it's the CCD since it still takes videos, but I do think it's in the support circuitry, and it doesn't look like you can get it repaired, so that limits your options to shopping for a replacement. (I'm guessing that we need not discourage you from purchasing another HP.)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2007, 9:43 PM   #4

Try taking the batteries out and leaving them out untill the camera loses track of the date. May not solve the problem, but the price of trying is right and it cannot do any damage to your camera.

Digicams are just about as much computers as they are cameras. A reboot sometimes solve strange computer problems - that is what taking the batteries out and leaving them out for a while will do for your camera.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 12:46 AM   #5

Jim, TC & Bill,
Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

Even I think that the problem is not CCD but some supporting circutery or logic chip...as I am able to get the vdo recorded. I had tried everything..taking the battery off and taking pics on external power supply, reformatting the sd cards and the in built memory, resetting the camera, running the self diagnosing software..but that particular problem is still there. Everything else is working perfectly fine. I tried all possible setting...but now it seems I should give it up. I will take out the battery an leave it for a day..as Bill suggested, and try a fresh battrey as Jim suggested.

I do hope the thinktank at HP reviews its policies regarding cameras outside its warranty time. Googling on this lists similar problem faced by ppl all around the world..and personally I feel R 707 is too good a camera (in its range) to be given this kind of casual after sales service.

Thanks a lot for ur suggestions. Hav a nice week ahead !

Cheers,
scorius is offline   Reply With Quote