Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 15, 2007, 2:12 PM   #11

Thank you very much to ac.smith, eric s and rey for their kind advices especially for the advice that how to keep the lenses in a high humidity area.
As I am very new to this photography, I haven't aware of this fungus problem until it appeared. Now I know what should Ido in the future.

Actually,Photography is my long time hobby but I never had a chance to doing this before. I just got a chance to start my hobby. So I try toshootwhatever I can. It means I am interested in taking pictures of everything, whatever comes across to my eyes. BecauseI am a newbieso I just like a child who hve got a toy for the first time.I like to shoot Landscapes, People, Portraits, Group shots,insects, flowers...(macro shots), buildings... etc. That's why I need to buy some tele zoom lens and micro lenses. But because of my budget, I decided to buy the tele lens first and buy the micro lens later. Oh I also need external flash too.. What an expensive hobby! It is more expensive than playing golf

As rey suggested, Igave agreen lightto fix the lens. I will get my camera back tomorrow. But I need to wait 2 weeks for my kit lens 18-135mm. This is one reason that I need to buy a new lens (18-200VR or 70-300 VR).

At first I thought cleaning is not worth and I wouldn't fix the lens. Just buying a new 18-200 VR instead of cleaning the kit lens. But from rey's suggestion I agreed to have getting fixed and so i can keep this kits lens because 70-300 VR is not wide. I can get better zoom range with 70-300mm than 135/200mm lenses.

Actually, the kit lens 18-135mm is quite sharp in normal condition but when it comes to a low light photography or zoom range, I have learnt that I need the fast lenses or the VR lenses. So I am thinking about buying the 70-300 mm VR lens or 18-200 VR. If I do not have this kit lens I will buy the 18-200mm VR lens for sure.Other Fast lenses f2.8 with VR are out of my pocket.

I am very much appreciated to all of you for your kind advices.

chwin
chwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2007, 10:44 AM   #12

Glad to year you're getting the opportunity to dive into this hoby of yours. I (and other here) find it to be lots of fun.

So you want to take pictures of lots of different things. You don't include one big category of subjects, wild animals, which will be helpful. You listed:
- Landscapes, People, Portraits, Group shots,insects, flowers...(macro shots), buildings... etc.

For most of those, you want a "normal" lens, a wide angle, or a macro lens (or something capable of macro.) The 18-200 would fit that bill quite nicely. Then again, so would the kit lens.

You are right about low light shots with the kit lens. You really have two choices. Get a really fast lens (low f-stop) or get something with VR. Things like the 50 f1.4 is a great lens (I'm told) and it does a very good job in low light. No VR, but it doesn't need it if you can deal with the small depth of field. They also have a cheaper (I believe) 50 f.18. I have the canon version and its very cheap, not built well but optically good enough for what I use it for.

My suggestion is sorta what you're doing. when the lens is repaired, use it and think about what you can and can't do with it while you're using it (and looking at the results.) If you find it is getting in your way then replace it with the 18-200. If its only low-light that you can't do then consider getting a really fast prime lens. You won't get the zoom, but you'll be able to do low light work easily.

If you find you're limited by not having enough reach then consider getting the 70-300 VR. Don't dely the Sigma 10-300 f4 or the Sigma 120-300 f2.8. both are even better lenses (faster focusing, sharpen, wider max aperture) but I bet they are more expensive and heavier. VR is nice, but it isn't everything. It can't stop action. I don't have either of those lenses, but several people here do and like them a lot.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2007, 12:36 AM   #13

I agree......if you have a lens fungus, put the lens in a daylight prone area (stopped down wide open & no lens caps, for as many dry, sunny days as possible. My second suggestion would be to store your gear with dessicant pouches in the bag....I have about 30 in mine).
Old Mar 19, 2007, 10:47 AM   #14

Thanks Eric , Kalypso and all of you for your advices.

As Eric said, Ishould wait my 18-135mm lens repaired and use it and think about what lens should I buy first.

Because I want to take pictures of lots of different things including wildlife (I didn't mention it in my previous post because I think the lenses for thiswildlife shootingare out of my pocket.), I may need different lenses for these different shooting.

So I am thinking of buyingone Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor60mm f/2.8D for close-up photography and 18-200mm VR for walk around lens.

I already have Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 D,and itcan be consideredfor portrait and low light shooting.

Nikkor 18-200mm VR is the one I will definitely buy because I don't want to change the lenses frequently. (Because I take pictures of lots of different things). And I can avoid the fungus/mold problem as nolensneed to keep in the bag for longer time if I use one lens for more than 80% of my shooting and the other for 10% when traveling or carrying them everyday..

If you have anyexperienced with other brands such as Tamron, Tokina and Sigma lenses for closeup photography, please advice me?

Quote:
(Kalypso) My second suggestion would be to store your gear with dessicant pouches in the bag....I have about 30 in mine).
Kalypso, do I need to use these dessicant pouches in the bag with my gear when I carry the gear everyday, even in the sunny day? Or just use these pouches when storing the gear at home?

Chwin
Old Mar 19, 2007, 2:17 PM   #15

The Sigma 150 f2.8 Macro is supposed to be a stunningly good lens. You might consider that. Its also cheaper than the Canon (and I assume Nikon) 180mm macro.

What will you take Macro shots of? If it's alive, the 60mm will probably not be enough reach. You will need more working distance so you don't scare them.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2007, 3:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Eric
The Sigma 150 f2.8 Macro is supposed to be a stunningly good lens. You might consider that. Its also cheaper than the Canon (and I assume Nikon) 180mm macro.

What will you take Macro shots of? If it's alive, the 60mm will probably not be enough reach. You will need more working distance so you don't scare them.
Eric, Thanks for your advice about the macro lens.

Iwould liketo get advice about these macro lenses so I will post it as a new topic.

my18-135 lens is still in the service center.

chwin
Old Mar 28, 2007, 6:04 PM   #17

I always use dessicant pouches in the bag with my gear when I carry the gear everyday & always store my camera & lenses in a dry area with the packets closed in the bag.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 2:16 PM   #18

Kalypso, thanks for your input.

I bought a plastic box and selica gelfor keeping my lenses away from the fungus. ANd use Dessicant pouches in the bag for outdoor shooting.

Thanks to all of you for your kind advices.

chwin