Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 20, 2007, 3:36 PM   #1

Hi all,

I heard it is possible to kill your digital camera by over-exposing it to light. I find it hard to believe this, but still am unsure...

I have already shot full-moon and even light-bulb pictures (sometimes very over-exposed) with my Canon a630, and everything seems to be still fine.

One can't be too careful, can one?

Any 2 cents?
stefaantje is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2007, 4:40 PM   #2

If it is going to be damaged it will be pictures of sun when it is high in the sky which can be dangerous to the eyes as well if the photographer is using an optical finder. Pictures of the moon are well within the sensor capabilities since that's just a normal daytime exposure.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 9:43 PM   #3

stefaantje wrote:
Quote:
Hi all,

I heard it is possible to kill your digital camera by over-exposing it to light. I find it hard to believe this, but still am unsure...

I have already shot full-moon and even light-bulb pictures (sometimes very over-exposed) with my Canon a630, and everything seems to be still fine.

One can't be too careful, can one?

Any 2 cents?
I have a question regarding this, I read somewhere in the manual, not to take pictures of direct sun or something like that, I never did that but i pointed the lense to direct midday sun a few times without taking any picture, is this as harmful for the camera┬┤s sensor as taking pictures of large amounts of lights?
flash110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 10:01 PM   #4

Ever used a magnifying glass to focus the sun on a surface and made burn marks?

The lens on the camera is a very high quality magnifying glass so try to imagine what is getting scorched in the optical system, usually down near the sensor where the image is focused. Even worse, if you have an optical viewfinder on a DSLR and you have your eye on the exit pupil when you're pointing at the sun.

Be very, very careful when pointing near the sun in other words.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote