Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 19, 2003, 8:03 AM   #1

Default SLR lenses and digi cams

I have loads of great SLR lenses including some 400 and 600 mm lenses. I've tried my Olympus C2000 zoom with these and no go ! Is there any way to use these lenses with this digital cmaera or any other ? The add on lenese I've seen look cheap and nasty compred to my Canon, Tamron and Zeiss lenses !
I am a new bird watcher and would love to be able to take close ups like the digiscope pics you see. Also I now have a Helios scope and cant find a digi scope adapter either !
Help pleez ?

Jane
Roberta Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2003, 8:09 AM   #2
NHL

Quote:
Is there any way to use these lenses with this digital cmaera or any other ? The add on lenese I've seen look cheap and nasty compred to my Canon, Tamron and Zeiss lenses !
What mounts are theses lenses in?

If they're Canon's FL or FD then you're out of luck. If they are EF then there's always the 10D the cheapest dSLR at this time! :lol: :lol: :lol:

As for Zeiss:
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...428&highlight=
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2003, 8:11 AM   #3

Default SLR lenses

They range from pantax 42mm screw, Canon FDs, and a 52mm russian thingy....I can get adapters or mounts made maybe tho.

Jane
Old Jul 19, 2003, 8:19 AM   #4

Thanks but,
No way ! I have a Zeiss lens that when tested still knocks spots off these idot auofocus cameras !

Real photography is about understanding light in my book !

I just dont believe i cant use these fine lenses ?
Jane
Old Jul 19, 2003, 4:54 PM   #5

Default Re: SLR lenses and digi cams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberta Jane
I have loads of great SLR lenses including some 400 and 600 mm lenses. I've tried my Olympus C2000 zoom with these and no go ! Is there any way to use these lenses with this digital cmaera or any other ?
SLR lenses and front-mounting converter lenses are two different optical systems. A SLR lens always has a focal point (and focal length, of course), while a front-mounting converter lens for consumer digital cameras is an afocal system. An afocal system does not have a focal point. Or, in other words, its focal point is at infinity. This is THE reason that one cannot use a SLR les on a consumer digital cameras with extra effort, and vice versa. This effort is converting a SLR lens to an afocal system. Or, a more intuitive way of saying this is "making a SLR lens a scope"! Some years (or decades) ago, all major camera manufactures produced scope adapters for their own lenses. I had Canon, Minolta and Nikon scope adapters about 15 years ago. I am not sure Contax and Pentax made the same thing; however, one can buy a Contax->Nikon/Canon/Minolta adapter and use an appropriate scope adapter. In this way, your SLR lens becomes a scope. I still have a Nikon adapter available. This Nikon adapter converter is actually a 10mm eye-piece, which means that it converts 200mm and 400mm lenses to a 20X and 40X monoscopes, respectively. Once you have a scope, you can use other adapters (e.g., LE-Adapter or others available @ www.scopetronix.com) on your consumer digital cameras. However, there is a catch. The exit pupil of these scopes is small. If the angle of view of your on-camera lens is not narrow enough, vignetting may occur.

Quote:
The add on lenses I've seen look cheap and nasty compred to my Canon, Tamron and Zeiss lenses !
These add-on lenses look cheap because their designs are very simple. The average or below average ones only need two glass elements: positive-negative for telephoto, and negative-positive for wide angle. If you look at the good ones (e.g., Nikon and Olympus), they do not look cheap at all. By the way, the Zeiss Mutar extender also looks cheap in today's standard!

Quote:
IAlso I now have a Helios scope and cant find a digi scope adapter either !
Diascope has a camera adapter, although it may not be for consumer digital cameras. I don't know for sure because it was not released when I checked last time. www.scopetronix.com has a large collection of adapters for you to choose from.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 user guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2003, 10:17 PM   #6
Administrator

Also check the folks at CKC Power for scope adapters.

http://www.ckcpower.com

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2003, 4:07 PM   #7

Default SLR lenses

Hi all !
Phew ! Now I know the reasons why ! Thanks everyone, now I know my afocal from my elbow !
One last question. I have a russion telephoto lense in bits at the moment and can get most of the lense elements out, but I guess this isnt any use either ?
thanks again everyone for the knowledgeable help and advice !
Jane
Old Jul 21, 2003, 11:17 PM   #8

Default Re: SLR lenses

Quote:
One last question. I have a russion telephoto lense in bits at the moment and can get most of the lense elements out, but I guess this isnt any use either ?
I would assume that you wish to use it on your non-interchangeable lens digital camera. If it is the case and if the Russian telephoto (I guess it is a Mak mirror type lens - Russian's specialty) does not include an eyepiece, it is virtually useless.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 user guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote