Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 20, 2003, 4:23 PM   #1

Default Which High Zoom Camera?

I am an amatuer photographer and I am looking to purchase a High Zoom Camera. I am looking at the Olympus C750 and the Toshiba M700.
What are the good and bad about each?
Do you have an opinion on the move Mode (AVI vs MPEG)?
If price is not necessarily an issue what would you suggest in 8X and up in Optical Zoom?
rickcraft@usa.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2003, 10:53 AM   #2
Administrator

And don't forget the Panasonic DMC-FZ1, it has a 12x stabilized zoom lens. A stabilized lens makes a LOT of difference when you are zoomed way out there. Unless the shutter speed is quite high it is difficult to eliminate camera shake at extreme focal lengths. There are only a few stabilized super zoom cameras out there - Canon Pro90 IS, Olympus C-2100UZ and E-100RS and the Panaxonic FZ1.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/fz1.html

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2003, 11:43 AM   #3

Thanks for the suggestions. I am sure that a image stabilizer wil help a lot. I'll check out your suggestions.

Thanks,
Rick
rickcraft@usa.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2003, 7:11 PM   #4
lg

A colleague of mine upgraded from a D460 to a C740 and loves it! I have a C2100 and feel the same about mine. The 740 is 3MP, and the 750 is 4MP. Neither have autofocus assist lamps, which help out in low light conditions. I don't know anything about the M700, so perhaps someone else can help there. The C2100 uses QuickTime format movies, so I don't have a preference for AVI or MPG.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2003, 8:26 PM   #5

Well the C740 ius a complete waste of time ... no sound on videos andmissing other features too .. what a joke. THe C750 looks a lot better but the lens is noit stabalised.

The Panasonic has a great stabalised lens but it feels VERY front heavy, is awkward to cart aroiund and just a plain annoyinhg design.

Case of picking the best of a bad bunch IMHO.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2003, 11:27 PM   #6

I've always been partial to my old Sony MVC-FD95 2.1 MP camera with the 20x stabilized zoom. It is a camera that overwhelmed other digital cameras because of its large but easy to hold size.

It is great. It is a true SLR with a color electronic viewfinder (that unusually displays camera information) and also has an oversized 2.5-inch LCD display. It can use 3.5-inch, cheap, floppy disks or Memory Stick. And it macros down to 1 inch.

It also has a movie and sound mode.
HaveBlue is offline   Reply With Quote